We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Which VX engine??

The vx insignia estate is supplied in 2ltr diesel, the astra estate in 1.9, which is best????? Stats support the 2 ltr but????
I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed

Comments

  • redped
    redped Posts: 822 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Better for what? Acceleration? MPG? Showing off to your mates?

    Are you going to buy either the Insignia or the Astra solely based on which one has the better engine?
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 7,173 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The Astra engine is the better one because it is heavier, and in this wind would hold down a bigger tarpaulin.


    PS I don't actually know which engine is heavier.
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    The new Astra Sports Tourer is 1.7 Diesel from the older models and new 2.0 diesel - looks the same base engine as the Insignia.

    The Astra one looks to have 165bhp though whereas the Insignia has 130bhp or 160bhp.

    http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/new-astra-sports-tourer/equipment-technical-data/engines-transmissions.html

    http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/insignia-sports-tourer/features-specs/engines-transmissions.html

    Ben
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    The 1.9 diesel has a fairly good rep, it's an old workhorse for VX (much like the 1.8 petrol) and as I understand it, it's fitted to hybrid electric buses up and down the country. It also remaps quite nicely to over 200bhp.

    The 2ltr diesel, I can only comment on the fact is was removed from the Vectra line up fairly early on due to major reliability problems. I can only assume they sorted all that out when the Insignia was released in 2009(?)!!

    Me personally I wouldn't touch a Diesel if it's not brand new. DMF's, DPF's, etc etc etc have really put pay to owning them 2nd hand.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2011 at 7:51AM
    redped wrote: »
    Better for what? Acceleration? MPG? Showing off to your mates?

    Are you going to buy either the Insignia or the Astra solely based on which one has the better engine?

    Better to me means a combination of all the qualities of an engine, that being reliability, economy and enough power.

    To put this into context I've run nothing but VX for the last 25 years, when the 1st fwd cavs came out. But just over 4 years ago I wanted to change to a diesel extate. I was getting rid of a vectra so wanted a change but the astra estate dissapointed, and so did the Focus so I went with a Renault. No real issues but I do intend to go back a buy a VX for my next car after some consideration.

    The 2ltr seems on paper to be far more economical in 160 spec even more so when you consider the extra load size over the astra, but something at the back of my mind was saying the engine had been trouble in the past.

    Stryder, 2nd hand it will be but at about a year old so within waranty which reduces the concerns

    Ben, useful info, thanks, seems the astra has more interior load space than the Insignia, will have to check them both out. auto.gif
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Both are Fiat engines. The 1.9 is the better of the two, although older. The 2.0 has lots of issues, some still unresolved, the exhaust valves stick & this stops the DPF regenerating. Don't expect to see much more than 40 MPG from the 2.0. Better still buy anything with the VAG 1.9 PD unit, virtually bulletproof & great MPG.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    drayton44 wrote: »
    Both are Fiat engines. The 1.9 is the better of the two, although older. The 2.0 has lots of issues, some still unresolved, the exhaust valves stick & this stops the DPF regenerating. Don't expect to see much more than 40 MPG from the 2.0. Better still buy anything with the VAG 1.9 PD unit, virtually bulletproof & great MPG.

    There is my dilema. My roomy Megane estate has a load capacity well above it's class and the 1460cc 106hp engine always delivers 50mpg and on anthing other running about 60 to 70mpg. It will be wether I can get all my fishing gear or 4ft x 4ft window frames in the back that decides it. ;)

    A relative runs a large taxi buisiness, they've used Astra's for years with very little trouble, they started buying Skoda's and Passat's and have been plagued with issues :A Everyone has adifferent story to tell I'm afraid.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    A relative runs a large taxi buisiness, they've used Astra's for years with very little trouble, they started buying Skoda's and Passat's and have been plagued with issues :A Everyone has adifferent story to tell I'm afraid.


    I think to be fair, people buy the more modern VW's having heard all the hype about reliability, then when they go wrong their brain just seems to ignore it OR they think "well, im glad I got a VW, it'd be so much worse if i'd bought a Ford/Vauxhall/whatever".
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.