We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car misdescription

Hi all

I recently purchased a car from a used car dealer just over two months ago. I have had a list of issues which include there not being enough fuel in the car when I picked it up to get me to a petrol station and the gear box breaking (which they did replace).

However, last week after a two months of the car not sounding very well, I took it in to their garage where they informed me that the exhaust manifold was damaged- they also are refusing to fix this.

However, I recently checked the online posted particulars of my vehicle on the garage website where it says that the car had one previous owner. I have just checked with the DVLA and it has had two. I believe this is deemed as misdescription?

Can anyone help me with their opinions? Would this information persuade them to fix an issue which I think they would have known about if they checked the car thoroughly?

Many thanks in advance

Alex

Is it misdescription to say 1 previous owner when there was 2? 14 votes

Yes
42%
pww2004stevenc75worried_jimredpedbifoldHorizon81 6 votes
No
50%
iolanthe07harveybobblescrispy_chriscolinopendulumGhostriderbigjl. 7 votes
Don't know
7%
barsnacks 1 vote
«1

Comments

  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Has it now had two (ie 3 altogether), or had it had two prior to the owner before you (4 altogether)?
  • Don't know
    Thanks sarahg1969

    It said that it has had two and that I'm the third
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well, if the seller said it had had one previous keeper, then they were right. The current keeper (at the time of sale) was the second, and you are the third.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    there has to come a point where a second hand car becomes your responsibility to maintain.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Don't know
    Well thats put an end to that one then!

    Thanks for your help anyway!

    Alex
  • Don't know
    vax2002 wrote: »
    there has to come a point where a second hand car becomes your responsibility to maintain.

    When is that point in time in your opinion when I've had it two months?
  • pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    No
    My view is they should fix it because 2 months isn't a long time. Some traders think they can just buy at auction, sell it on and tell the new owner to fix any problems that arise. The whole point of buying from a trader is for the warranty / peace of mind, that if something major goes wrong within a short space of time, it will be fixed. Otherwise, we'd all just take our chances at auction or buying private and there would be very few dealers around.
  • No
    barsnacks wrote: »
    Hi all

    I recently purchased a car from a used car dealer just over two months ago. I have had a list of issues which include there not being enough fuel in the car when I picked it up.

    However, last week after a two months of the car not sounding very well.

    However, I recently checked the online posted particulars of my vehicle on the garage website where it says that the car had one previous owner. I have just checked with the DVLA and it has had two. I believe this is deemed as misdescription?

    Can anyone help me with their opinions? Would this information persuade them to fix an issue which I think they would have known about if they checked the car thoroughly?

    Many thanks in advance

    Alex

    God, you sound like the sort of person who dithers about for ten minutes deciding if you should have beans or peas with your chips...

    So you drove around for two months with the car not sounding good? I can't blame the garage for not wanting to fix this.

    I can't see what you want to do about the low fuel level in the car two months after you picked it up?

    The car WAS 1 PREVIOUS keeper (ie 1 previous to the current reg'd keeper at the time)
  • Don't know
    What I failed to mention was that the car broke down in-between the garage and a petrol station because it had no fuel.

    I don't want to do anything about the fuel apart from highlight how inept the garage was so get off your high horse.

    Always peas for me- that took 2 seconds
  • No
    So why did you drive round in the car for two months that, to quote was "not sounding very well"...?! I can see why they refused to repair this. I would have too to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.