We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Inter-Credit International & Car Tax

Morning all - I just wanted to get a little advice about 3 letters I received this week.

They are from Inter-Credit International asking for me to pay them £80 to avoid legal action for a car I owned 2 years ago.

They claim that the car was untaxed and as a result the DVLA has passed the account to them to either take me to court or to pay a fine.

The car in question was in fact SORNed - though to be honest I cant remember the exact dates. When I called and explained this they said that the DVLA had no record of the SORN and I still had to pay. When I said that I would call the DVLA to explian they said that they would say exactly the same thing and unless I could provide the SORN certificate then I was liable.

As I said I sold the car 2 years ago AND moved house twice since so the chances of me having any documentation is NIL

has anyone else had these letters and has anyone else any advice on what to do??

thanks

Horse

Comments

  • Unless you can prove otherwise I would pay the £80 fine. From experience they will take you to court and give you a ccj.
  • Hiya

    when you declare a veh as SORN, you get an acknowledgement letter 20 working days after. If you didnt get a letter, then they didnt get your SORN.

    Have you wriiten to DVLA to tell them you scrapped / sold it? You could still be listed as the registered keeper. You have a legal duty to write to DVLA when you sell or dispose of a vehicle.

    Give DVLA a call, find out whats what
  • oh, and intercredit cant take you to court foe this type of penalty. But you need to find out if this car is still in your name
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    As the dvla for all the information held about the car, under the Data Protection Act.
    You may have to pay £10 but it should show whether they listed it as SORN at the time.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • Thats great information - thank you so much. I'll get on the phone to the DVLA and dig out all my old car related correspondence.

    thanks guys

    S
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.