IVA/Lewis Debt Recovery

Options
Hi, Newbie here. Can anyone please advise on below.
I entered an IVA in my name 3.5 years ago. One of the debts was a joint acct with my wife, with HSBC. HSBC agreed to it being included in my IVA.

I have fortunately been able to pay my IVA off early by offering a full and final settlement to creditors ( inc HSBC joint acct).

My wife has been harassed throughout the time of the IVA for the HSBC joint acct.
I have repeatedly explained to debt recovery agencies that it is being paid by me in the IVA.

Lewis Debt Recovery are the latest ( 5th) agency to get in on the act of harassing her.

They will not give her any peace and are making threats - even though I have explained the situation in full.

Any answers please.
Thank you

Comments

• bec2012
    Options
    We had the same, and I was chased for it but we finally got to the bottom of it and in our case the IVA only covers his 1/2 so I am responsible for the other 1/2 we were allocated money in our monthly budget for it and I pay this a month, I suppose like a DMP. At the end of his IVA I will be responsible for the balance, his half and mine but as long as they keep the interest frozen we can give them what we give the IVA for a few months on the end and it will be gone!
  • jobo49
    Options
    Many thanks for the information.:)
  • FoggyBrain_2
    Options
    Hi Jobo -- Bec is correct to a point . Each party to a joint loan is responsible for the whole debt. Whilst you were protected by the IVA your wife was not. Unfortunately HSBC are very (VERY) IVA unfriendly, which wouldn't have helped matters. So the debt repayable now will be the total debt, less the amount HSBC were granted through the IVA. Often the collection agency will consider a full and final payment for a lesser amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure