We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I need a car....

Hi,

I know nothing about cars but my nan has a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 automatic 04 plate sat on the drive doing nothing. She doesn't seem to be wanting to do anything with it and she hasn't driven it for 18 months now. I know they are paying alot of money for just having it sat there and it just seems such a waste. It's had all its services from vauxhall, it had a battery change not long ago. My gramps has to go out and run the engine for 5-10 mins each day. This is just silly.
So, I'm just wondering what might be a good offer to make to them to buy it from them. I've no idea what the mileage is but it can't be much at all. Also, what other problems could it have developed whilst sat on the drive?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2011 at 8:26PM
    Its between 4.5 to 5.5 k of car
  • crazyguy wrote: »
    Its between 4.5 to 5.5 k of car


    not for a 7 year old automatic corsa. You're looking at about 2k - 3k tops.
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    not for a 7 year old automatic corsa. You're looking at about 2k - 3k tops.


    I dont what i was looking at but yes £3100.00 tops, sorry
  • You could try checking what the review sites would say, eg. http://www.parkers.co.uk/

    I don't know how old you are so this might not be relevant, but you might also want to check how much the insurance would be before you offer to buy it - just so you know you can run it if you have it!

    Rosa
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Thanks all. I will check out some reviews, I'll check out that website. I understand they are reasonably reliable. I am due some inheritance soon so I'm just beginning to get an idea about cars.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 7,006 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    katevw1 wrote: »
    Also, what other problems could it have developed whilst sat on the drive?

    Brakes and exhaust system, among other things.

    Brake calipers/pistons often seize or become sticky if unused for a while, and brake disks can become severely pitted with rust (I had to replace them on a Transit which had been standing at the previous owners for about the same length of time).

    If it's been run for 5-10 minutes a day it also quite possible that the exhaust will be badly rotted, as it will never have got hot enough to fully clear initial condensation after starting.
  • If the car is an easytronic don't even think about buying it, a truly hateful thing even the odd time they work correctly.

    Not trying to be picky so don't take this the wrong way, but the car might be staying for other reasons.

    Towards the end of my fathers life it was obvious to me that my dad wasn't going to drive again, but i kept his car maintained and clean outside his house for when he improved if you follow my drift.

    Maybe your grandfather is being his kind self, without broadcasting it.

    Just a thought, and the very best to you.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    fwor wrote: »
    Brakes and exhaust system, among other things.
    Possibly the tyres too.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,921 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    The Easytronic only ever came with the 1.2 litre engine. The 1.4 has a proper torque converter automatic. The biggest problem with this engine/gearbox is the £210 road tax because of the high emissions.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.