We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buying a brand new car...totally confused

Hi,
Im really looking for some solid help and advice around buying a brand new car. To give you a bit of information I currently own a T Reg Ford Ka and I have loved it but sadly it is now costing alot to keep on the road. I have looked in to the Peugeot 'Just add fuel' deal and been fairly happy with the price. I have been quoted £207 per month for a 1.4 8v 207 Access Model allowing me to do 15,000 miles a year and the dealer also stated he would put in a Bluetooth set for me....however despite Peugeot's relentless advertising on the TV, websites and newspapers it would appear they have NO Access models available in the UK for at least 13 weeks. I would assume the idea is for the dealers to upsell and get you to pay fair amount more (for not much more car...just the Aux connector and bluetooth). I am not in a position to pay more but in dire need of a car ASAP. The perfect thing about the JAF deal is that it includes insurance which at the age of 25 is still very expensive for me. Can anyone advise of any other deals where I can get a decent new Hatchback whereby with the insurance on top it would still be under £210?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and for any help you can provide.

:j

Comments

  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Try dealdrivers http://dealdrivers.co.uk/html/peugeot_cars.html

    Just add fuel is more than the cost of PCP + insurance + tax + servicing for our Mazda2.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    £207 a month to rent a car for 3/4 years (£7452/9936)? A bank loan and a newish pre owned 207 would be cheaper and you would own it at the end of paying for it.

    BTW that car is £8215 at drivethedeal.
  • Buying a brand new car...totally confused

    Your Thread title is misleading. The Peugot advertising on TV states "You will not own this car".
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Dunno where the 15k miles comes from,6667 is the limit before you have to pay extra.
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

    Got a huge Buzz out of it.
  • Thank you all for your help and advice, I will take a look at the link you posted Keith. Until you had highlighted it I was not aware that you do not own the Peugeot, the dealer I had spoken to had specifically said to me that I would and Peugeot would register the car to me providing that waas the option I took and paid the final installment. Funky Cold Ribena: I specifically asked for the mileage to be increased to 15k due to the amount of mileage I do for work, that is why it is an increased price(£207) than what is advertised (£179). I dont fully understand how my thread title is misleading but this is the first time I have used a Forum and if I have made some kind of forum etiquette boo boo then I do apologise. DaveyJP: I have looked in to a bank loan but due to 'lack of credit' I am unable to get anything below 12.9% and that would therefore not work out as cost effective, but thank you for your response.
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    The deal can work both ways as a lease and also as a pcp. However, it's not as easy as it sounds as usual items not covered by the warranty you pay for, tyres, etc.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If you can only get a loan at 12.9% find a cheaper car - you will still own it once it is paid for. £6k over 3 years at 12.9% is coming in at £200 a month - you can get a nearly new car for that.

    If you do lots of mileage for work the mileage payments will go towards your insurance - I would also check the Pug offer includes business use.

    If you keep the Peugeot after the initial PCP period you still have to pay an annual rental.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.