Our long journey

Options
Hi all,

Rapidly nearing completion, our IVA has 2 more payments to run and then we're debt free. The final payment is due in the first week of November, just in time for us to finally have a decent Christmas without the financial worry that comes with it.

Can't wait to be able to spoil the children. But to be fair they have been fantastic over the last five years and have not really wanted for much. We have been fairly open with them in our situation and they know that mum and dad can't afford to buy everything they want. It has even turned into a bit of a gameshow with them helping look for the bargains in the shops. Buy one get one free seems to be the overall winner so far:)

Summers have been good spent with relatives who live in Wales, so our holidays have been spent there. It doesn't have to be funfairs and amusement parks to have fun. Most of our time was spent down the beaches making the biggest sandcastles and dingies out of the sand, swimming, walking along the coastal paths and going to places on the doorstep where we'd never been before, (Even having lived there for many years)

In summary we didn't spend a fortune, because we never had it. Our IVA has taught us a valuable lesson in that family time is far more precious than the pound in our pocket.

When our IVA is over we will continue along the same path, however we might go extravagant and take our first family holiday abroad;) If nothing else but to give the children that experience.

Household things will need replacing in the not too distant future, but they can wait. As long as the cooker, fridge, washing machine and hoover work (Oh and the laptop to keep in touch with all MSE users:rotfl:) then lifes a peach.

It has been a long five years, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. If I could give just one piece of advise to all, it would be to keep in touch with your IP. They are getting paid by you to manage your IVA so speak to them if you have any issues, worries, or just to check all is going along nicely.

Once I have made the final payment no doubt I will check in again with the added bonus of having a glass or two of Champagne to hand.

I wish you all luck in your quest to become debt free.:T:T
Debt free Nov 11 :j

Comments

• stecast
    Options
    7 Month left for me now and i'm counting the days.

I never thought i would get to this point with my IVA, i must admit times have been hard and to some point they still are, they has been a couple of times when i thought i would loose my IVA because i just could not manage with the money i had left after making the payments but i managed to scrape through.
    I'm not going to mess things up now so close to finishing..
    One think a IVA has done is to show me how to manage money a lot better and i have learnt that you do not have to borrow money to survive in life.

For anyone just starting or in the middle of a IVA, stick with it because it does get hard at times but will be worth it in the end.
  • SILENTLUCIDITY
    Options
    I agree I make my last payment on Oct 15 th this year.Then finally this journey is over and a new one begins.I like many others have had tough times and still managed to come through it .Its a long haul but it really is worth it ...
    . debt free Oct 15th 2011....:T ...
  • Firefox99
    Options
    Brilliant! well done , our finished in June and it feels good to face the future with no debt......
  • debtfree2016
    Options
    Must feel GGGGRRREEEAATTTTT..... well done... i'm 3 in 57 to go...
    Never make assumptions always ask questions>>>>>;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure