We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
MPG too low? Funny noises?
broke=skint
Posts: 56 Forumite
in Motoring
Hi there,
I have taken my 04 plate Peugeot 206 to a mechanic many times but I think they are starting to think I am crazy!
About 6 months ago my exhaust was blowing so I took it to my local garage who said it was just a bracket that came loose. They repaired it and I went on my way.
At this time I knew if I filled up my tank I would get 400+ miles for about £40.00
After this I noticed my fuel gauge going down way faster than normal.
Last time I filled up I took £50.00 at 134.0p. I used http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php
to find the following:
Your fuel consumption
( MPG) ( Km per litre)( litre per 100Km)
Averaging pence per mile
(40+ mpg for petrol is good under 23 is bad)
So thats bad isnt it? Or is that normal for an older car? My car is in pretty good condition, I have it serviced and the tires are always checked.
The only thing I have noticed is a grinding noise coming from the front wheels on occassion. I can only get this to happen if I am breaking going down a hill whilst going round a corner! Then it goes away if I apply the breaks again.
Could this be the breaks sticking and could this be causing my higher petrol consumption?
I have taken the car into the garage for both reasons. They told me the MPG was normal and I had to allow for the rise in petrol prices, but the amount of miles I can do on a full tank has nearly halved, I would expect that if petrol prices had doubled!
And the noise thing, well they said they couldnt replicate it so I was over reacting.
Can anyone advise how to improve my MPG and any ideas on what the noise could be?
Thanks in advance!
I have taken my 04 plate Peugeot 206 to a mechanic many times but I think they are starting to think I am crazy!
About 6 months ago my exhaust was blowing so I took it to my local garage who said it was just a bracket that came loose. They repaired it and I went on my way.
At this time I knew if I filled up my tank I would get 400+ miles for about £40.00
After this I noticed my fuel gauge going down way faster than normal.
Last time I filled up I took £50.00 at 134.0p. I used http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php
to find the following:
Your fuel consumption
( MPG) ( Km per litre)( litre per 100Km)
Averaging pence per mile
(40+ mpg for petrol is good under 23 is bad)
So thats bad isnt it? Or is that normal for an older car? My car is in pretty good condition, I have it serviced and the tires are always checked.
The only thing I have noticed is a grinding noise coming from the front wheels on occassion. I can only get this to happen if I am breaking going down a hill whilst going round a corner! Then it goes away if I apply the breaks again.
Could this be the breaks sticking and could this be causing my higher petrol consumption?
I have taken the car into the garage for both reasons. They told me the MPG was normal and I had to allow for the rise in petrol prices, but the amount of miles I can do on a full tank has nearly halved, I would expect that if petrol prices had doubled!
And the noise thing, well they said they couldnt replicate it so I was over reacting.
Can anyone advise how to improve my MPG and any ideas on what the noise could be?
Thanks in advance!
I work, I pay debts, I work some more and then pay more debts...give me a break! :money:
0
Comments
-
Something's gone wrong copying and pasting mpg - I can't see any figures...0
-
Sorry! Can you see it now?
Your fuel consumption
( 30.09 MPG) ( 10.65 Km per litre)( 9.38967 litre per 100Km)
Averaging 20.24 pence per mile
(40+ mpg for petrol is good under 23 is bad)I work, I pay debts, I work some more and then pay more debts...give me a break! :money:0 -
Hmm, what engine size is it and what kind of driving do you do? Its not so low there's definitely something wrong, but its possible...0
-
As a comparison my partner drives a 2001 206 1.6 petrol, she does short journeys of max 3 miles. The car returns 35-38 mpg.0
-
Thanks.
Its only a 1.1, I drive sensibly but I only ever do short journeys...maybe 20 minutes driving at the most everyday.
Put it this way, a full tank will last me a month, the car is 7 years old and its only done 48,000 miles.As a comparison my partner drives a 2001 206 1.6 petrol, she does short journeys of max 3 miles. The car returns 35-38 mpg.
Hmm, thats quite a difference. If I take it to the garage again, is there something specific they should look at?I work, I pay debts, I work some more and then pay more debts...give me a break! :money:0 -
Are your tyres inflated correctly?0
-
Find a section of quiet road, dead flat. At 30 take your foot off the throttle and push the clutch right out. See how the car coasts It should run on slowing for about 150-200yards . If it slows quite quickly something is binding.You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)0
-
The noise certainly "sounds" like slightly sticking front brakes but they wouldn't normally affect mpg. noticeably. I wonder whether an exhaust analysis would be worthwhile - ought to show up any defects in the combustion process and wouldn't take a garage long to do.0
-
As far as I know, but I will definatley check them.thescouselander wrote: »Are your tyres inflated correctly?
Ok, I'll try that tomorrow, but first I have to find out how far 150-200 yards is! I'm not too good with distances!anotherbaldrick wrote: »Find a section of quiet road, dead flat. At 30 take your foot off the throttle and push the clutch right out. See how the car coasts It should run on slowing for about 150-200yards . If it slows quite quickly something is binding.
If it stops quicker does that mean the breaks are sticking?
I assumed my garage had already done that when I took it in with the exhaust problem.The noise certainly "sounds" like slightly sticking front brakes but they wouldn't normally affect mpg. noticeably. I wonder whether an exhaust analysis would be worthwhile - ought to show up any defects in the combustion process and wouldn't take a garage long to do.
If I get it checked would it be better to take it into a Peugeot dealer rather than my local little garage? Would they have better equipment?
Thanks all for your suggestions and input!I work, I pay debts, I work some more and then pay more debts...give me a break! :money:0 -
The noise certainly "sounds" like slightly sticking front brakes but they wouldn't normally affect mpg. noticeably.
really
whenever i get a car with sticking brakes i cant push the thing so i would suggest your theory is ever so wrong:)
i suggest a thorough brake check and possibly a full service and try from there OP0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards