Money Owed To NPower

Options
jcbsew
jcbsew Posts: 20 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

I moved into a two bed flat around 16 months ago and agreed to a dual fuel tariff. The actual gas readings were 1810 kWh for 18 days (was in May) and that was the last reading. Npower estimated that I would need to pay £30 a month for Gas via direct debit.
So I paid it and never took another meter reading until now (BIG mistake - I now realise). My actual usage since then (15 months worth) is 18246 kWh and now I probably owe something around the region of £900 plus VAT.

I realise I might get some stick for not managing this correctly in the first place but I didnt and I am where I am now so I figure there is nothing I can do.

I have signed up to a deal with Eon just over two weeks ago and now I dont think I can get out of it without paying a penalty (£60).
As with most I am sure - money is very tight at the moment and I can't afford to pay the £900 outright - if I can get out of the Eon deal would Npower make me pay in one go or can I still pay direct debit it will be about £180 now I think?

Also does this seem like an average consumption - it just seems quite high. I dont have the central heating on alot, have showers instead of baths etc. Any suggestions on reducing it would also be appreciated?

Thanks for your help.

PS The good news is I have used half the electricity they estimated the bad news is this doesnt cover me remotely for what I owe on gas :(

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 September 2011 at 5:30PM
    Options
    You won't have to pay any ETC to Eon, as your transfer will be blocked by Npower due to the debt owing. Any debt has to be cleared before switching and anything over £200 will result in a non-transfer.
    18,246kWh of gas over 15m is around average for a 3 b/r property with gas CH and DHW (say 17,500kWh pa). How did you think that £360pa would ever cover your average usage all year round? You can't base it on 18 days in May, as the heating was probably off by then!
    The way to avoid this is as always-make sure you submit readings at least every 3 months.
    Remember that your revised DD will be your ongoing consumption plus whatever the agreed monthly contribution to the arrears is, so even if they give you a year to clear it, that will still add around 79pm to your DD.
    Make sure that you are on the cheapest Npower tariff in the meantime.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • chris1973
    Options
    Npower estimated that I would need to pay £30 a month for Gas via direct debit

For future use:- Never let people, or worse still, computers tell you how much energy they think you'll be using, without keeping a close eye on it yourself, anymore than you'd let Asda predict what shopping you'll be buying!.

The fact that both your Gas and Electricity DD seemed to be way out speaks volumes.

In essence you may be better going to a prepayment system, yes you pay more for your energy and a standing charge, but it will help you to budget and give you a better understanding of how much it costs to heat and light your property. If you tell Npower that you can't pay the debt in a reasonable timeframe, they may insist on fitting a prepay meter(s) anyway, this can be programmed to deduct a certain amount from each top up in order to repay what you owe them.

But you wont be able to move suppliers anytime soon.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    You can't base it on 18 days in May, as the heating was probably off by then!

I agree with your general points but (unless it is a typo) 1810kWhrs over 18 days in May is almost "impossible". So I don't know what is going on. Especially as the OP thinks the heating is not on a lot. Maybe our old friend metric/imperial?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good point. As an average that gives around 36,000kWh pa, so where on earth did Npower get £30 a month from?
    OP, check your meter and advise if it reads in cu m or 100's cu ft (it's marked on it). Then tell us what units you are being metered in (before the kWh conversion) on your bill.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • jcbsew
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for your comments. The meter reads in cubic feet on the bill the usage says (100s cubic feet)
    I have also spoken to Npower who have said that because I don't owe more than 200 for over three months outstanding they would still make the switch! So I will have to move to eon as it can't be stopped and I would have to pay £80 to eon if I move as it's a fixed tariff.
    My initial problem is listening to 1. The guy that used to live here and how much he paid 2. Listening to Npower and computers and 3. Not being able to get a meter reading without moving a tumble drier and the rest of the rubbish the landlords own and have left in the same cupboard oh and 4. Having a mate as a landlord and not saying anything about it!
    I know excuses excuses - but I guess it's a definite lesson learnt! No saving for wedding or holiday now for another year!
    Thank you again for commenting - if only I had found this site earlier! :)

Ps meter reading 22/05/2010 7798 cuft and reading 26/08/2011 8364 cuft
  • jalexa
    edited 8 September 2011 at 7:16PM
    Options
    jcbsew wrote: »
    Ps meter reading 22/05/2010 7798 cuft and reading 26/08/2011 8364 cuft

Don't believe it. Are you reading red numbers?

An imperial meter reads (the black 4 numbers only) 100s of cuft. Multiply by 31 to get kWhrs (approx).
  • jcbsew
    Options
    Have doubled checked and using only black numbers and subtracting May 2010 reading from August 2011 then multiplying by 31 gives me 17546 kWhs used in 15 months - is that right?
    Sorry If that's wrong but I'm thoroughly confused about the whole thing.
  • jalexa
    edited 8 September 2011 at 7:29PM
    Options
    jcbsew wrote: »
    Have doubled checked and using only black numbers and subtracting May 2010 reading from August 2011 then multiplying by 31 gives me 17546 kWhs used in 15 months - is that right?
    Sorry If that's wrong but I'm thoroughly confused about the whole thing.

My apologies. I misread a year in your last post. Your "17546" (in 15 months) would be considered "average" so would not trigger any alarms, however it is (obviously depending on insulation standards) not entirely consistent with your perception of not using the heating "a lot".

Once the heating season starts in earnest I suggest you get a handle on your consumption by reading the meter daily for a week, then weekly for a month. OK, its behind the dryer (the lightest big appliance in our kitchen). Perhaps it could be moved forward a little?
  • jcbsew
    Options
    That's a great plan thank you! I think now I'm even more aware of the cost etc I will be getting the jumpers out and some thick socks on - aswell as checking it daily and weekly. I think I may also move the dryer out of the understair cupboard for the winter - it will prob help heat the flat when used!
    I am also going to some research on other energy saving ideas - I'm great when it comes to weekly food shopping and saving money but obviously energy is not my strong point!
    Thank you for taking the time to look at my post I really do appreciate it and I'm glad it seems average and not paying for both my flat and the upstairs property!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure