Boiler replacement

Options
Hi Everyone

We bought a house last year which had a 3 year old boiler (so now 4 years old). Turns out the boiler is a pile of rubbish its an ideal isar combi condensing unit. Without boring you all the details we have been using a kettle for the hot water for the last 6 months, luckily we have an electric shower. So we decided to get a new one before xmas.

We need a 24kw boiler and going to go for either a worcester or valiant as not messing around with any cheap alternatives.

How much should i expect to pay for a simple swap? Assuming it does not affect my warranty I will balance and flush the system myself.

I was also thinking of buying the boiler myself (about 700 quid) and just paying the labour. Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks in advance everyone

Tom

Comments

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How big is your house and how many hot water outlets do you have?
    Maybe a combi isnt the best solution?

Currently id go for the Vaillant.

I'd also get an all inclusive quote and leave the full job to the engineer.

That way,its all covered and only one person is responsible for management and completion of the whole job.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We bought a house last year which had a 3 year old boiler (so now 4 years old). Turns out the boiler is a pile of rubbish its an ideal isar combi condensing unit.

Botching is infectious.

When you find one thing is botched, quite a few things surrounding it is usually botched as well. I have just dealt with the worst case scenario of the whole house was botched.

So, I would expect £2,000 inc VAT, but be prepared to pay £4,000.
    When it gets to £10,000, go mad and get free accomodation in an NHS asylum: it's cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport