Pay as you go gas issues, daily £1.40 charge?

Options
Johnmcl7
Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,818 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
I'm on my phone and having trouble finding any useful information on this issue so I'd be glad of any advice as it's not something I'm at all familiar with.

My younger has moved into a rented flat which has both prepay gas and electricity, I believe both are supplied by British Gas. When he topped up the gas meter with ten pounds it said £6.47 was going to the debt and £3.53 was going for the gas. Where can this debt come from if it's a prepay meter, I assume this should have been cleared before he moved in?

The second issue is that £1.40 appears to disappear at some point overnight or early morning despite both the hot water and heating being turned off. The cooker and shower are both electric so they can't be the culprits, there doesn't appear to be any other gas powered devices. Any thoughts what this could be? It apparently is too high for a standing charge but I don't how much that should be.

He's going to phone British Gas tomorrow but I'd appreciate any advice from more knowledgeable people here.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He needs a new key from the supplier urgently then switch to a better tariff. Ebico is a good prepayment meter tariff with no standing charges and only 1 rate for all gas/electric used. If he uses a lot of gas/electric it is not suitable.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • eurmalian
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Where can this debt come from if it's a prepay meter, I assume this should have been cleared before he moved in?

He's going to phone British Gas tomorrow but I'd appreciate any advice from more knowledgeable people here.

That's definitely a debt on the meter, which he has no responsibility to pay. As you say, BG should clear that and leave the meter clear for him to use. However, had he actually contacted BG and told them he'd moved in? As otherwise there's no way they can know that they have to clear it...
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, the letting agency were supposed to have sorted it out so I don't know if they've not done something they should have.

John
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, the letting agency were supposed to have sorted it out so I don't know if they've not done something they should have.

John
    Normally you would sort it. The letting agent only has to find out the previous suppliers name so you can get a new key for it. They may have also got the old key and given it to you but they shouldn't have. The supplier should be sending you a key with your name on it.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't ever rely on an agency to sort anything relating to utility bills-they won't. Do it yourself, it's not their responsiblity.
    Clearly he's using an old key and paying someone else's debt.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    Thnks again for the replies, I've had a look at the meter and the p.ayment card which I assume is the key? It's Scottish Gas rather than British Gas, there's no name for a tenant on it but just a chip which I assume has this information on the debt?
  • eurmalian
    Options
    Scottish Gas and British Gas are the same company, they just have a couple of different names that they trade under. The key itself doesn't hold the debt details, that's all stored on the meter. However, if Scottish Gas post out a new key (or give you a code to pick up a new one from a local Paypoint store) then they can put a piece of code onto it that will tell the meter to reset itself when the key is first entered. That clears all of the debt from it, but also (just in case you've topped a lot up) wipes any credit that you've got left on the meter at that point. Then you just start from scratch.
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    There's no credit there at the moment as they didn't want to top-up until they had it sorted so getting a new card and wiping the meter is clearly the way to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport