MSE News: EDF suspends doorstep energy sales

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"EDF Energy has today suspended door to door energy sales, pending a review into the controversial practice ..."

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Any chance of them also suspending 'My Account'?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Apart from door-stopping literally, how about metaphorically?

Could anyone suggest how to persuade any of these companies, including EdF who were on the phone just a few moments ago, that when they are asked not to ring people up again, that means delete all the details and don't ring up?
  • Damn, what am I now going to do with all of this Tar and these feathers?! :)
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • ricky9
    ricky9 Posts: 141 Forumite
    We should think about the staff that is being put on the dole.
    Approximately 300 EDF Energy employees will be affected by the decision.
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ricky9 wrote: »
    We should think about the staff that is being put on the dole.
    Approximately 300 EDF Energy employees will be affected by the decision.

I don't buy that argument whatsoever.

These are additional unproductive costs passed onto all customers.In effect they become a private tax which pays for the employment of an unwanted service.

If they had sold products which were market leading and which promoted competition then there may have been some value.As it was ,we got inferior products being sold by misselling tactics.

Edf have made a good decision. EDF could better employ these people operating their woeful and overstretched Customer Relations operation.
  • ricky9
    ricky9 Posts: 141 Forumite
    backfoot wrote: »
    I don't buy that argument whatsoever.
    300 to loss there jobs.

These are additional unproductive costs passed onto all customers.In effect they become a private tax which pays for the employment of an unwanted service.
    They may well have been unwanted but they were paying tax on there wages but now we are all having to pay there dole money from our tax.

If they had sold products which were market leading and which promoted competition then there may have been some value.As it was ,we got inferior products being sold by misselling tactics.
    Not all sales people tell lies to get sales .

Edf have made a good decision. EDF could better employ these people operating their woeful and overstretched Customer Relations operation.
    Now they will start doing alot more telesales is that what we want?
  • as one of the unlucky 300 i must point out that the majority of door step sales were done in an ethical manor and out of area at least(meaning not sweb london or seebord) we were very competative and genuinley offered a competitive deal..unfortunatly the southern electric sales were activley encouraged to miss sell and eventually some of them came across to us and EDF sales managers being more interested in figures rather then quality tended to employ anyone that talked a good deal..obviously once they were found out it was to late and the damage was done..I feel it has been a bit of a witch hunt against us thousands of people change everyday and i would suggest the percentage that have problems is very much in the minority. Also no the people without access to the internet have very few options available to them.
    Please before you tar us all with the same brush remember that some of us have kids and mortgages and pay a lot of tax on our earnings whilst doing a demanding and soul destroying job.
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In all my many dealings with either doorstep or telesales, I have never ever been told the truth by an energy salesperson.

It's mindboggling, that someone once thought, it was progress to start selling gas and electricity on the doorstep.:eek:

Finally and thankfully, the penny has dropped. When somoene can show me that a Supplier offered something that wasn't sub optimal, then I might accept it has some merit.
  • Adela31
    Adela31 Posts: 393 Forumite
    EDF still fibbing... well I prefer to buy brittish, and today I was told in the supermarket that no no, EDF is a british company. Not Doorstep selling but jumping me in Morrisons is just as bad!
  • Adela31 wrote: »
    EDF still fibbing... well I prefer to buy brittish, and today I was told in the supermarket that no no, EDF is a british company. Not Doorstep selling but jumping me in Morrisons is just as bad!

EDF is French :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport