We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice re buying a diesel car

After pondering around the SORN (earlier post) I sold my car (it had just begun to have small problems), am using Grandads old car and will be giving this to my son in Nov once he can afford the insurance :-)

I have the offer of a Seat Ibiza, 1.4 diesel for a reasonable price (54 plate). What I want to know is how economical they are?

I had quite an economical car before and do not want to be killed on fuel costs. The tax and insurance are not much different to what I was paying, but I have never owned a diesel, so don't know what mileage to expect from it. I have looked on autotrader and compared to what I had and it seems very comparable, but would like some "proper" advice.

The average mileage a week for me is about 170 miles, some rural, some in town when I go to work. It is about 2 miles a day in town and the rest are either straight A roads, or duel carriage ways.

A couple of times a month I visit friends and that is motorway driving (about 90 mile round trip)

My previous car was a Smart Roadster and I could get about 320 miles on £37 pounds worth of petrol. Would I be looking at much worse for this diesel car? (or better?)

Sorry for the rambling!

joesaunt x
8 months to go till end of the IVA :j:rotfl::T

Comments

  • At a cost of £1.33 a litre I get your MPG in the roadster to 52.

    The SEAT will get roughly the same in the real world with your combination of driving. The 1.4 is maybe a little small if you were to be using it on the motorway for a lot more than you do (my 2l Astra DTi sits at 2400rpm @ 70mph) but will be perfectly fine around town, if it has a 6th gear then ignore my comment, stick it in 6th and "enjoy" up to 60ish MPG! As it is part of VW I would imagine parts will be cheaper than your Mercedes-owned SMART, and would imagine servicing intervals and requirements will also be less strict.

    Also a much more practical car.

    Hope that helps :)
  • Worth looking at http://www.seatcupra.net/forums. You will get all the info you need off there.

    A 1.4 diesel should give around 50-60MPG general driving.
  • joesaunt
    joesaunt Posts: 224 Forumite
    Thank you, seems like I might just be tempted now :T
    8 months to go till end of the IVA :j:rotfl::T
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.