We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How on earth do you choose a new (used) car?!

flutterbyuk25
flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
edited 6 September 2011 at 9:57PM in Motoring
Hey all

I need to replace my current car (51 plate Fiat Punto) as the electric steering pump has gone, and it's not worth paying the £600 it'll cost to fix. This is the only car I've ever had since passing my test in 2004, and I've really liked it.

I have absolutely no clue how to decide on what car to get next! I have a budget of around £4000 (could stretch to £5K if I really had to but would prefer not).

I've had a look around and there are some cars that I like the look of which include Nissan Micra (newer shape) and the Toyota Aygo. I've seen these in dealers and have sat in them but not yet test driven. Also the ford Ka, I've seen some for £3K, about 4//5yr old.

I will do many city driving, but with some rural and some motorway driving too. I want a small/medium car - Focus would be biggest size I'd go to I think. I want a boot bigger than a shoebox (so discounted Citroen C1's etc). I don't mind 3 or 5 door, or fuel type. I would prefer to have a cheaper road tax car if poss (the aygo is £20).

So how do you start looking for a replacement car? Any suggestions of what makes/models I should look at?

I'm so confused!!

Cheers

x
* Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
«1

Comments

  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    be careful with the micra they have the same problem
    your punto would only cost £600 at a dealer,an independant would sort it for a lot less
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,233 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    2nd hand pump less than £100 or a reconditioned one with 2 year warranty for £160 or less.

    Should be able to get a recon one fitted for less than half the figure you put.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • You've discounted the C1 because of boot size but like the Aygo???
    They're the same car in all but name!!
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

    Got a huge Buzz out of it.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    How on earth do you choose a new (used) car?!





    The answers simple, very very carefully!

    (It's very easy to find a bad example of a good car, if that makes sense), ;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • My local independant garage said new replacement part was circa £400-£450, plus 2/3 hours labour at £60/hour.

    There are other things wrong with the car so it will need to be replaced anyway.

    funkycoldribena - the 2 Aygo's I've looked at both had way bigger boots than the C1 etc!

    x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

    * Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • Limey
    Limey Posts: 444 Forumite
    Aygo is a great little car and a real giggle to drive if you like to chuck them about a bit. But they're not the best on the motorway due to the power of the engine.

    C1/Aygo/107 are all identical chassis, engines & running gear, the interiors are slightly different but for peace of mind the only things on those cars not made by Toyota are the badges.

    Personally, however I'd stick with the devil you know and get the pump repaired.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    My local independant garage said new replacement part was circa £400-£450, plus 2/3 hours labour at £60/hour.


    x

    Check on EBay you should pick up a unit for around £100 as stated above oe a recon unit for a lot more.

    So even taking your labour figures you can it done for £300 - £400 but I would be worried that your mechanic doesn't even suggest this and his labour prices sound a bit high.

  • funkycoldribena - the 2 Aygo's I've looked at both had way bigger boots than the C1 etc!

    x

    C1,107,Aygo,all same car,made in same factory.
    Boot space-
    107-139 ltrs
    Aygo-139 ltrs
    C1-139 ltrs
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

    Got a huge Buzz out of it.
  • £60 an hour labour charge. Where is he? Central London? Bermuda?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,233 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Choosing a car is easy, Very max of 5 years old, clean and tidy one owner or 2 owners who have had the car for a fairly long time i avoid anything that changed hands quickly for any reason.

    And £2000 is the budget, Ex fleet Mondeo's usually fits the bill.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.