We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Are First Central a reputable company

I took out car insurance with First Central (despite my reservations of never having heard of them) over the phone about a week ago as they were by far the cheapest quote from a comparison website. My suspicions are now aroused as I have had an email from their fraud detection dept saying I hadn't disclosed a fault accident when I infact went out of my way to give them correct details at the time of taking out the policy as I had remembered the date wrongly when I did the online quote. They are trying to charge me a new amount plus large admin fee and I am wondering whether to cancel now in the 14 cool off period even though they say there is a£40 charge for that - is that legal I thought the point of a cool off period was that you could cancel free of charge?

Comments

  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The answer to your question is no!

    Read about their "service" by doing a search here and across the net.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    They're a joke. Get out now while you can...
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    denisep wrote: »
    Just to correct my previous message - sent in state of stress - I meant to type £5 a minute!


    How about 5p a minute which is the correct rate for 0843 !
  • People who don't look into these things and then bleat about it afterwards when they had google at their fingertips all along should really not be let out alone.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    People who don't look into these things and then bleat about it afterwards when they had google at their fingertips all along should really not be let out alone.

    Is that your way of being especially nice to a newbie?

    Just ignore this, OP!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.