We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

advice on dealing with garage

I took my car into my dealer after noises from the clutch, they wanted to take the gear box apart to diagnose. Came back saying replacement for clutch would be £480. I was going to take it elsewhere as I know someone who could do it cheaper but they want £200 for taking the gear box out and £380 to refit it without making a repair. Seems nuts, expensive day :(

Comments

  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    £480 sounds like normal dealership (stealership) prices.

    It's not an easy job, it's a lot of work getting the gearbox out of a front wheel drive car and the clutch is tightly sandwiched between the gearbox and the engine block.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Allan87 wrote: »
    I took my car into my dealer after noises from the clutch, they wanted to take the gear box apart to diagnose. Came back saying replacement for clutch would be £480. I was going to take it elsewhere as I know someone who could do it cheaper but they want £200 for taking the gear box out and £380 to refit it without making a repair. Seems nuts, expensive day :(

    What is it that is nuts about wanting to be paid for the work they have done? Are you suggesting they didn't need to remove the gearbox to make the diagnosis?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.