We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

gas or electric boiler running costs

Options
2»

Comments

• Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am in the same situation. The landlord had to replace my gas boiler. They have installed a Heatrae Sadia Electromax. I have no idea how much it will cost to run. I am on a standard meter and have opted for Go Fix 7 with N Power. My gas consumption will now be only about 120KW a year as the only gas appliance is the hob. My previous gas usage was 9000kw for gas and 1500 kw for electric. The boiler was not very efficient and so I am hoping that this one will be more efficient and that will outway the increased cost of electric over gas.

My flat is only 8 years old and well insullated and in the winter I set the thermostate to 18c. I am not one for being overly warm!
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Gary1963 wrote: »
    My previous gas usage was 9000kw for gas and 1500 kw for electric. The boiler was not very efficient and so I am hoping that this one will be more efficient and that will outway the increased cost of electric over gas.

Regrettably unlikely.
    The boiler will have been at least 75% efficient.
    While the electricity is 100% efficient, the gas would be around half the price on go-fix-7.
    I'm assuming that you're not on economy 7, and you have a similar pricing structure to me.

Asuming the boiler was 75% efficient, so you were really getting 6750kWh of heat, you're looking at:
    6750 units are - on go fix 7 - going to cost you around 670 pounds, versus 500 for 9000 units of gas.
  • themethod
    Options
    hello all,

Thanks for the replies..How I am estimating my cost for elec boiler is to take old gas bill, check kwh used per month, and simply multiply with new electricity tariffs.

Anyway my other concern about electricity boiler is whether it will negatively affect prospective future buyers for my flat, or tenants for that matter? What is the consensus..flats in london?

many thanks
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2011 at 8:21PM
    Options
    themethod wrote: »
    hello all,

Thanks for the replies..How I am estimating my cost for elec boiler is to take old gas bill, check kwh used per month, and simply multiply with new electricity tariffs.

Anyway my other concern about electricity boiler is whether it will negatively affect prospective future buyers for my flat, or tenants for that matter? What is the consensus..flats in london?

many thanks

All electric houses tend to make me think expensive living costs. Maybe it's worth making a new thread for this question though as it will probably get a wider range of opinions and views?

Of course maybe all electric for flats isn't such a worry as flats normally have less residents using fuel and less heated living space than houses. Maybe having one less standing charge helps on the smaller consumption scale even things out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure