🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Standing charge on prepayment meter

Options
Alibali
Alibali Posts: 126 Forumite
Hi

Does any one know of an energy company in Scotland, who do not charge a weekly standing charge on prepayment meters? I understand the tarriff may be higher though but it would really help if any one knows of one.

Comments

• chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2011 at 11:28AM
    Options
    I think Ebico are the only company who don't make these charges. Although I have no idea whether they cover your region.

Most others suppliers charge a standing charge, supposedly to cover the cost of providing, networking and maintaining all of those expensive lottery style terminals in paypoint locations.

Although why they can't follow BG's example and allow top ups at home via the internet using a credit / debit card or even paypal and a USB 'Key' terminal and reduce these costs is anybodies guess, sadly most seem stuck in the dark ages, slow to embrace the same technology that they are actively encouraging credit meter customers to use to supply readings / pay bills.
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • Alibali
    Alibali Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much, had a wee look and they do supply in our area :j
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    British Gas and Scottish Gas can give you a non standing charge meter.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    Scottish & Southern do not charge a standing-charge on prepayment meters
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income