We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

not sure what tree this is?

Options
ill try and get my daughter to post a photo when she gets back but we have a tree in our garden i think is an aprocot tree. its grown there for a few years (im a lazy gardener) lots of what we have was planted by the birds, and the children have been known to put fruit seeds and stones out to see what happens. anyway i now have a tree about 6-7 foot tall that had pinky white blossom on in the spring it has long thin leaves and started producing hard green fruits along is branches. THey have now ripened and the tree is covered in what look like apricots they are apricot coloured with a peachy reddish colour on one side of some of them the tree is absolutely laden with fruit to the extent one of the branches has snapped.
how do i find out for sure if this is an apricot and if its safe to eat (make jam) from the fruit. Ive cut one in half as they are quite ripe now and the stone looks like a peach stone.

if anyone has any idea what it is id love to know.
thank you in advance
SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind

Comments

• jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Taste one - you'll recognise an apricot if you eat one. If that is what it is, you are very lucky. Some of us would fight you for it.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    they do indeed taste like apricots, feeling very very lucky right now

thank you
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    took a sample round to a gardener on our estate he said its not an apricot tree but a peach tree and i am indeed lucky as hes beeing trying unsuccessfully to grow one for years
    its loaded so ive promised him a few pounds of fruit,i just need to think what to do with it all now.
    SPC~12 ot 124

• tuttifruiti20
    Options
    Wow how lucky are you. I'd love to have a peach tree in the garden - think of all that jam and preserves you can make.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it is a peach tree, you need to cut that broken branch neatly and seal it in some way. if worst comes to worst heat a bit of candle wax with a little olive oil in a bain marie, to form a low melt wax and brush that over the wound. maybe cut it a bit long and then cut back again in the spring when the sap is rising and you can reduce the risk of silverleaf.

If you get lots of fruit next year, reduce the number of fruit and take off those closest to the tips of the branches.

Finally, peaches ripen quickly, so over the next two-three weeks, you will need to deal with all of them.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    thank you so muchfor that really helpful info RAS i was wondering if the break needed treating. off to look for some recipies now
    SPC~12 ot 124

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure