PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

crafting ideas

Options
I have just done the annual school uniform sort out and am left with a pile of trashed boys trousers (black and grey). They are beyond reasonable wear and I could send them for recycling but as this is an annual event I wondered if anybody had any ideas for crafting with school trousers?! Or recycling...

Same goes for manky old red polo shirts....
Commercial Debt £14587.22 Student Debt £7747.73
Debt to family and friends £270/540 Total Debt £22604.95/22874.95 :embarasse

Comments

• Merry_Wanderer
    Options
    Can be used to make doll's clothes perhaps, or cleaning rags.
  • RubySewSew
    Options
    I've a house full of boys and hence no dolls. Hmmm... I was thinking about soft toys of some kind though? Anybody got any ideas about where to get patterns?
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    I would hang on to at least one that matches the new ones now in use. Sods law says the minute you get rid of all of them you will need a piece for a false hem following a growth spurt or for a knee patch.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you make something patch work from them?
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you drop them at a Cash for Clothing site and use the whopping 50p per kilo to buy crafting items?
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cut the legs into long spiral strips of about 3cm wide, same with the polo shirts. Knot the end of each strip together. Then knit up on fat needles into storage bags or flat rag rugs or a floor cushion. I do this with old manky t-shirts and they make really nice cushion covers if done in chunky garter stitch.
    Val.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    moo2moo wrote: »
    Could you drop them at a Cash for Clothing site and use the whopping 50p per kilo to buy crafting items?

That is a really good idea :D
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • RubySewSew
    Options
    I've never heard of a Cash for Clothing site - will google it. Ches - i'm not skilled enough for patching or false hemming hence the pile of trousers!

I do like the sound of patchwork - what can i patchwork? Hmmm, will get my sewing box out. ANd knitting to. Right, projects a go go.

Found a great website today - pictoknits - you can upload any picture and it will give you a knitting pattern.
  • silverarrow73
    Options
    You could cut the trousers legs off, sew up one end, then stuff it with either rice, beans or toy stuffing, and hey presto! A draught excluder!!!
  • Gingerbiscuit_2
    Options
    You could make easy peg bag out of the polo shirt, stick it on coat hanger and then sew up the bottom. Depending on size you may want to make it smaller in the length, adding a few stiches to the shoulders will stop it slipping off the hanger.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure