ppi refusal west bromwich building society

Options
Hi after using your ppi claim form I basically had the reply back from the WBS saying it was not mis-sold.
I am a Insulin type 2 diabetic the insurance cover is MPPI and would cover me for redundancy as well. When taking out the policy i declared i am a diabetic and was not advised that this cover would only cover me for non diabetic related illnesses.
As you may be aware any illness is accentuated by diabetes for this reason I'm certain i would be exempt from this cover.
If the representative had said I wouldn't be covered for the majority then I would not have taken this cover.
Do you recommend I go to the FOS ?

Regards
Nige

Comments

• magpiecottage
    Options
    Why not write back and ask for written confirmation that diabetes related conditions will be covered.

That will rather put them on the spot. If they say yes they lay themselves open to a possible claim in the future, if they say no then they are going to find it difficult to explain the sale to FOS.
  • src007
    src007 Posts: 420 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2011 at 11:11PM
    Options
    Is it their final response?

If you have anything from your doctor about your medical condition, I would photocopy it and sent it to them. If you can get hold of anything about how serious the condition was at the time of the sale that would be even better.

Building society PPI tends to be a fraction of the cost of what the banks where charging for loan PPI, so the FOS will usually say that they were making a suitable recommendation, especially when its protecting a large mortgage payment.

Its only if your diabetes was likely to lead to spells off work (leaving you suck when making payments) that you can show a mis-sale.

The building society may have sent you documents (with their response to the complaint) showing they warned you about the exclusions, which would show no mis-selling.

If they haven't provided proof that they told you about the medical exculsions, I would go to FOS.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...and kindly let us know what your answer is to the two above distinguished posters who gave their time to answer you but you have yet to acknowledge or give thanks.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure