🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Changes in prices increase & changing before increase date - advice

Options
Help please?

I;m current with British Gas. I duly contacted BG before the date of the increase (effective 18 Aug) that I wanted to end my gas supply with them and that my new supplier would be in contact in due course but also confirmed that gas prices up until the final bill has to be at the "lower price" - ie before the increase and was told yes and that they would "activiate/note my account" accordingly.

Well and behold I've since got an interim quarterly bill (not final) but its in two section from 1 Jun to 17 Aug cheaper price and then 18 Aug to 23 August more expensive price. Anyone out there no for sure that BG are not allowed to do this. Even on the letter I received from the managing director it does quote that if I do not want agree to the price increase to notifiy them before 18 Aug (which I did) and that the price increase would not take effect. I did call the complaints department but was fobbed off that the increase takes place for everyone - but I am sure that is not correct. Any advice. Obviously I do not want to pay that bill until it is corrected but at the same time do not want BG being able to say to the new gas supplier that I cannot transfer over as I have an outstanding bill to pay.
Help much appreciated.

Ta
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills