Copies of craft patterns etc

Options
I'm an avid cross stitcher and over the years have acquired a vast collection of patterns and charts, used (but good condition) and un-used.

I've noticed lots of people sell them (the originals OR copies) on EBAY and I'd like to do the same but I'm not sure if this is "legal" from a copyright angle ?

Could I get into trouble with EBAY for listing such items, or do companies trawl the site for "their" items and follow up with the seller (sounds far-fetched !).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Linda xx

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,286 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You cannot legally copy something and sell the copy without permission unless it is old enough to be out of copyright (which I think is 50 years?)

Yes they do get pulled and the sellers warned, not all of them by any means but it is a gamble.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    You cannot legally copy something and sell the copy without permission unless it is old enough to be out of copyright (which I think is 50 years?)

Yes they do get pulled and the sellers warned, not all of them by any means but it is a gamble.

Thanks for this, I can put the idea out of my head now!

Linda
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can sell the originals though can't you? Can you keep a copy or is that not something that can be suggested on here?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,286 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hermum wrote: »
    You can sell the originals though can't you? Can you keep a copy or is that not something that can be suggested on here?

No we are not allowed to suggest that :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No we are not allowed to suggest that :D
    Phew, I'm so glad that I didn't then.
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Options

Its 50 years from the death of the copyright holder
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport