Plaster board

Hi I need help av been getting a house done up and got my bill back for putting up plaster board on top of old plaster board in a 18x18 room witch is a empty shell and it came in at £900 I just can't get my head round it can any one shed any light

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Boarding on top of board doesn't make sense for walls. Of course you could mean the ceiling when it might. Does it include the cost of skimming afterwards? 64k question though is 18 x 18 what? feet, metres, inches? That would help with an answer.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • ashley86
    ashley86 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Hi ceiling was not included it was already in the over all quote. It's a old house and the plaster board that was there is supposably not good or done right , and was told it would be easier and cheaper to put on top it's 18x18 feet
  • keystone
    Easier for whom? - oh the builder yes of course. How will PB over PB work with existing architraves, windows, window boards etc etc? Have you asked them that?

Oh and once again - does it include skimming? If it does then its perhaps a bit heavy - if it doesn't then it is very heavy - IMHO of course.

Oh just spotted you said bill rather than quote. Sounds like you might be kinda stuffed unless you have good negotiating skills. I'd be asking the to justify it myself. Did you agree the price for this extra before work started? If not why not?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • ashley86
    We agreed on a quote for the house renovations to be done which have be great but to re board the room was in the quote as we didn't realise it needed done. So the plastering in the whole house was in the original quote for the break down of the extras was 3 days labour at 600 and300 for materials . I dont live there at the moment am about 2 an half hours away so wasn't there to see if it toke three days
  • keystone
    If skimming was covered within the main contract I think he's taking the pith - possibly making up a loss on another part of the fixed price element. Thats why you have to be so carefull with "extras". Sheer guesswork (cos I aint seen it) says you should consider offering between £500 and £600 unless the PB is gold plated I can't see a £300 material element ex VAT in that sized room.

Ask yourself what does this extra represent as a percentage in the greater scheme of things? Is it worth it to him gaining a couple of £100 and you losing a couple of 100 (or conversely him losing and you gaining) to fall out over this? So parhaps offer him halfway between 500 and 900.

And next extra - !!!!!! agree a fixed price in advance. Do your haggling before the event not after.

Cheers

Cheers
  • ashley86
    Thanks will do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills