Wooden fence quotes - normally this expensive?

I'm looking to erect a wooden fence down one side of my garden and have two quotes from local contractors in Aberdeen. The size of fence quoted is for 9m long and 6ft high and posts will be set in concrete. The fence itself is made up of wooden boards that are about 6" wide.

The first quote came in at £890 (I'm not sure if this includes VAT as its not detailed in the quote but was shocked how expensive this was and havent bothered to clarify this with the contractor).

The second quote that has come in is at £650 + VAT (£780 total) which I thought was still fairly expensive. Have I underestimated how much this should be and this is what I'm expected to pay?

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    kungfuman wrote: »
    Have I underestimated how much this should be and this is what I'm expected to pay?

Evidently.

They are hardly likely to send you a quoteation and then expect you to pay a much lower price.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    2nd Q seems in the ballpark with 50/50 split on labour/materials and 2 blokes for a day using bog standard stuff. Are the first guys suggesting a longer job or quoting superior materials to the second? You need to get that clear in your mind when comparing. Got to agree with Phil though.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • kungfuman
    kungfuman Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Both guys are using same materials as far I know. I already have a fence on the other side and asked for it to be the same.

Looking at previous posting I was expecting a bog standard fence to be around £40-50per metre but these qoutes are coming in at £70-80 per metre. I have requested another quote from someone else to compare. Being in Aberdeen, everything is more expensive when getting tradesmans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure