Benefits and full time student query

CandyApocalypse
CandyApocalypse Posts: 53 Forumite
edited 30 August 2011 at 12:02AM in Student MoneySaving
Hi all,

Deleted a lot of this as my query has been answered, and answered my other one by finding a post deep down in the archives which asked the same thing.

My only big concern now is whether my student loan comes on time, as if not, I am going to be a bit screwed.

Thanks all.

Comments

• You can apply for the ADG on your online account (unless you mean applied already and were refused), you just have to send proof of your household bills e.g rent, council tax, house insurance.

I would let the benefits office know your start date as you don't want to end up with an overpayment. If it is a joint claim for JSA and HB then they will take some of your loans as income which means the amounts will change.

Best of luck!
    I believe that I have the strength to make my dreams come true
    :T September Challenge £5 per day - £0/£150 :T
  • Thanks very much for the advice.

I will be letting them know, but don't have a start date yet. I am guessing end of September, but beyond my acceptance letter, I have had nothing from the University. I phoned up to enquire and was told to wait for the letter. It's not September yet though, so will give them a bit of leeway, they'll still be dealing with clearing just now I would assume.

I'm going to phone the benefits people tomorrow anyway. I am fine about the amount decreasing, just want a general idea. I have been budgeting tonight and worked out I can pay all the bills out of my student loan, which is fine, but after I take off the cost of a travel pass to University, that leaves me £60 for three months worth of anything else e.g. books, photocopying, clothes etc etc.

Fingers crossed I'll find a part time job quickly, and my OH will find a full time job and then it'll be fine. I have just found online sites seem to contradict each other. :rotfl:

I'm doing a joint hons degree too in English Lit and Classical Civilisation, so no idea how many contact hours I'll have, so can't even properly apply for a job in advance. Grr.

My main concern is how I am going to manage for the month up to my loan appearing, as I have just found out that our housing benefit is probably going to be cut dramatically from 1st September if I start at the end of it, and we pay rent fortnightly, not monthly. :s
  • Hey, I can't really help your financial issues but I just saw that you were wondering about contact hours and thought I'd help. :)
    I'm a second year Eng Lit/Ancient History (practically the same as classical civ, especially if you're doing it at your local uni Swansea, which is where I study) and last year I had only around 13 hours contact time a week last year as it's a highly independent course so getting a part-time job around this will be super easy if you're good at time management - although there aren't many around, darn recession!

Unless your studentfinance hasn't been finalised properly you should be getting your loan through a few days after you enroll (last week of Sept if you're going to Swansea).
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    H
    My only big concern now is whether my student loan comes on time, as if not, I am going to be a bit screwed.
    if there is a delay (which hasn't exactly been uncommon in recent years!), contact the uni as soon as you can and ask about hardship funds. in recent years a lot of unis have offered short term funds for students who ended up in trouble after loans were delayed. might be worth knowing about in advance as some students ended up taking short term commercial loans from places like wonga because they didn't know what was available to them.
    :happyhear
  • Thank you very much, esp the info about the contact hours, that is really helpful.

I have wanted to apply for a few things, but seems slightly more sensible to wait until end of Sept now, rather than get something and in less than a month have to mess them about hours wise.

Funnily enough, Englist Lit and Ancient History was my second choice. :)

I know what you mean about actually finding a part time job. I can survive on my student loan to be honest for both of us, but a bit of extra cash is always nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure