🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Has anyone hired their wedding dress?

Options
Hi,

This is my first time posting here, so hello :wave:

I'm getting married in May 2012, and we're splashing out quite a lot on the venue, so I'm trying to make cut backs on where I'm happy to compromise - and one of those is my dress.

I'm thinking of hiring it, but for the life of me can't find any shops which seem to rent them out in my area (Bristol). Along with that, I can't find anywhere online which gives guide prices for hiring wedding dresses - I'm assuming they are much cheaper, but I'm not 100% sure.

Have any of you hired your wedding dresses? If so, would you mind letting me know how much it cost? Also, can the dresses be altered in size?

Finally, can anyone recommend or know of any shops around Bath or Bristol which hire out wedding dresses? My search online isn't turning anything up?

Many thanks,
Ohara x

Comments

• roses
    roses Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My friend hired her dress. It worked out abot 25% less than buying a brand new one. She was happy but I thought it was a total waste of money! Have you considered second hand? A hired one will be worn anyway and second hand should cost about 25% of original price.
  • ohara09
    ohara09 Posts: 62 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2011 at 1:38PM
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Roses - I'm a little shocked it was only about 25% saving!

I'm interested in knowing why you thought it's a waste of money though? Only my thoughts were the other way round - that it would be a waste of money buying one to be worn once, and then having to pay £100+ to be cleaned?

I'm also going to check out the Bridal Oxfam in Chippenham http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/results.aspx?catalog=HighStDonated&category=ClothesandAccessories_Bridal_WeddingDresses which does second hand and donated dresses, and there's also a second hand shop in Bath http://www.bridesofbath.co.uk/ which I was going to check out, although there isn't a huge range and the dresses still look quite pricey?

x
  • Hollie84
    Hollie84 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You will find the majority of shops dont hire them out,i wanted to hire mine but tried 4 shops in my area who said they dont hire bridal dresses out.i paid £250 for mine in a sale
  • Debbiecatal
    Options
    There is a company in Stafford called Vonlee Bridal - I believe there have been good reviews for them on the board. They are quite far from you, but might be worth a look, and their prices are £100 - £300 I think. According to their website, the dresses are only worn once then sold on, so it wouldn't be second hand. My daughter was thinking of hiring from them, but then we found an ex display dress reduced to less than 50% so she has gone for that instead.
  • Claree__x
    Claree__x Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    I looked at dress hire but I couldn't find any shops in Glasgow that did it.
    Then I was convinced I would buy 2nd hand online and be done with it.
    Then I went shopping with my mum and found an amazing dress and paid twice what I was planning for it...oops!
  • European_Citizen
    Options
    Bliss Studio in Edinburgh hire some of their second-hand and sample dresses but the price is usually 60% of the selling price. They also allow you to buy a dress and then give it back to them; if they manage to re-sell it, you get 40% of the price back. Personally, I prefer sample sales but not all shops will dry clean the dress and fix any missing beading etc before they sell it to you so you have to take these extra costs into consideration, along with the price for alterations. My advice would be to go to a shop and just talk to them honestly about your budget and what they can offer.
  • Maysie
    Maysie Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Options
    I found an unworn new dress on ebay for £50! It can be done if you hunt for weeks and search by newly listed and buy it now. Mine was San Patrick new with tags with the Veil (i didn't need so sold it for £26 on ebay). It was from a uk seller and was an actually picture of the dress not a stock picture. There are loads of beautiful dresses that sell for under a hundred on ebay have a look see.

i must say the rest of the sellers dresses where £500 so i wonder if they missed an 0!
  • sharpee
    sharpee Posts: 671 Forumite
    Options
    When I was looking for my dress most shops said they rentals were virtually none existance due to the costs and lack of demands. I think with ebay, preloved and the chinese imports there are a lot cheaper ways to get your dress.
    Turning our clutter to top up our house deposit: £3000/£303.05 we're on our way!
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've fallen in love with this dress http://www.weddingdressonlineshop.co.uk/tea-length-wedding-dresses/1239-organza-strapless-a-line-short-style-beach-wedding-gown-wh-0044.html and at £92.00 comes within my £150 budget.
    I have looked at a few shops close to me and their hiring costs are too much for me and limited budget, so I couldn't afford to do that. However I think if you love a dress and it is cheaper to hire it then I wouldn't see that as a waste of money.
    Have you found a dress? If you post it on here then we can have look around the internet and see if we can spot it cheaper? You might have missed something?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • sammy_wheeler
    Options
    what would you do if you pop in your spare room and admire your dress--- you cant do that if you hire one---- nearly 6 weeks on i am still looking, feeling my dress, i love it- and cant imagine not having it there!!

dresses dont have to be thousands!mine was £250!
    Is a married woman!! 23rd July 2011 Best day of my life!

TTC first baby Jan 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family