PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

BBQ Briquettes and local producers

Options

Comments

• Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    if you don't have any luck finding somebody local to you - you should just try and make your own

i have made it for myself - in my back garden, just by burning wood from pruning the trees in my garden (using an old oil drum) you don't get much charcoal by burning without the proper set-up - and it's not the greatest looking charcoal - but i can produce more than enough to keep my barbie going through the summer (whenever we get one - lol)

Thanks Splodger, i'm really interested in this. Daft question but the stuff you make yourself, does it give a decent burn?

I'm very much a hands on person, make most of my own things so I don't feel too intimidated. We took down a tree last year so have loads of wood.

Is it worth it??
  • splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    Angelina-M wrote: »
    Thanks Splodger, i'm really interested in this. Daft question but the stuff you make yourself, does it give a decent burn?

I'm very much a hands on person, make most of my own things so I don't feel too intimidated. We took down a tree last year so have loads of wood.

Is it worth it??

i get a lovely burn from my charcoal bits - so for me it is worth it - basically, because i would have needed to have a bonfire anyway, to burn the woody rubbish i get something for nothing really - it just takes a bit of thought and a bit of extra time - both of which i can do quite easily

the trick is to get a really hot fire going - then put in the wood that would make good charcoal - let that burn for a while - then reduce air flow to hardly anything - then after a little while shut the air off completely - the flames should then disappear and the wood that was alight should smolder - this is where an oil drum is handy - as i just put the lid on it

when the embers have stopped glowing - i just take the charcoaled wood out of the bin (with bbq tongs or something - as it will still be hot) i then put the lumps somewhere where they won't do any harm - a patch of dry bare earth is ideal - you don't want them to re-catch alight - then once they have cooled, break up the bits and store in a cool dry place

you can do something similar with an open bonfire - and instead of a lid - firstly cover the fire with lots of green leaved stuff or something - to smother the flames - then cover with earth or sand or something - the main problem with trying to do it with a big bonfire - is the smoke - as soon as you try to deaden the flames - it will smoke like billy-oh

it might take you a few attempts, to get the hang of it - but certainly worth a go ;)
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • Angelina-M
    Options
    Thanks again Splodger. I like the sound of that!

I've been doing a bit of research and it does look 'do-able'

I will ask on freecycle to see if I can get an oil drum or something. I will do loads of research before hand. I have not very sympathetic neighbours so need to check out fumes etc.

I will still look out for someone making their own as well, would be safer in the long run lol!
  • Angelina-M
    Options
    Splodger I just wanted to update you.

I was talking to a friend who works mending tractors and he said he can get me an oil drum as soon as one comes empty and will also come round and help me make the charcoal and we will share what we get.

I have a silver birch that is due to come down soon so i'm going to read up everything I need to know and then we are going to give it a go!

You inspired.... well you made it look easy so its your fault! :D

Thanks again
  • splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    good for you - if you don't try something at least once, you'll never know if it is worthwhile

the oil drum will be really useful for burning stuff anyway - as you can have a well controlled bonfire in the garden - you can shut it down by putting the lid on (so don't have to keep going outside to check on the embers etc) and you can use the ash on the garden once it has cooled down

if you can be bothered to riddle the ash after several burns - you would probably get enough charcoal bits for a douple of bbq's - whithout even trying to make it

i don't know how good birch will be for charcoal making - but it is defo worth trying ;)
  • Angelina-M
    Options
    Well I think i'm going to have a small test first. I've read that its possible to make a small amount using a chocolate tin full of dry thick branches. Make a few holes in the top of the tin and when it looks like the fire has gone over then turn the tin upside down onto the grass so the air holes in the top are covered. Leave a few hours and its done.... or so the plan goes!
  • i know you didn't want to buy from supermarkets etc - but thought i would let you know anyway that my local sainsbury store has all bbq stuff including charcoal etc on sale - most (if not all) at least half price ;)
  • Angelina-M
    Options
    i know you didn't want to buy from supermarkets etc - but thought i would let you know anyway that my local sainsbury store has all bbq stuff including charcoal etc on sale - most (if not all) at least half price ;)

Ha ha guess what? I went to Sainsbury's and notice the 4kg bags of FSC recommeded charcoal was down to £1.75 a bag so I bought 13 bags! I'm still keen to give it a shot myself. I've read up loads about it and feel confident.

I will certainly update on my progress when I make it, looking like its going to be bonfire night though to disguise the smoke:D
  • 13 bags :rotfl:that's alot of barbies :D
  • Angelina-M
    Options
    13 bags :rotfl:that's alot of barbies :D

Oh it won't last long. I had a bbq full english yesterday morning, then off to my brothers with the bbq in the back of the car to make pizza's. I've got the bug!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure