Ho do I approach a solicitor and an accountant?

Options
Do I just ring them or visit them? Do I have to pay anything?

Thanks.

Comments

• Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    Options
    A call is the best method.. turning up on the spot will usually be met with the receptionist giving
    dagger eyes coz she will have to do a bit of work making an appointment for you.
    Both solicitors and accountants will usually give a bit of time for free, because they are like crack
    dealers, they give a little bit for free, then your hooked and you keep going back..
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    They are vying for your business - call them up and arrange to go in and have a chat. If you don't get on personally, try the next one. It's really no different from buying any other service, they want your business - they have to impress you not the other way round!
  • flappy_mcwarbucks
    Options
    Agree with the other two. Just call them up and book an appointment.

people have been doing it since the invention of the phone, so it's a tried and tested method.
    If at first you don't succeed; do something else.
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    There are loads of threads on this forum about choosing an accountant, it is worth spending a few minutes reading them.

I haven't seen so many messages about choosing a solicitor so just to make it clear what you want is a *commercial* solicitor and perhaps even a company that has a whole commercial division. Your average family solicitor will be of limited use, and even within commercial law there are so many sectors that you may want a firm with a commercial department. In an average sized town you might find there is only one decent commercial firm which makes the choice easy :)

If you ask around you will probably find the same recommendations for solicitors coming up time and time again, and if you have a bank manager that is a good place to start. Solicitors, bank managers and accountants network a lot and my bank manager gave me an introduction to the other professionals (I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a case of wine at Christmas in return :) )
  • Bebop_Beru
    Options
    Adding my 2 cents to this: Ask people you know.

For the most part (certainly within the small biz world) it's something of a commoditised service, so what you're really buying is the actual accountant/solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure