PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Removing red stains from cricket whites, help!

Options
Hubby is a cricketer and has always washed his whites himself. But as he's away today I thought I'd help out. So I used vanish pre treatment and then chucked in the wash.

It hasn't touched it!!

Any simple tips guys? Hubby is not going to be happy....

(It's the cricket ball stain thats the issues all over his knees)
Green and White Barmy Army!

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm... if you've got your own chemistry lab try this:- http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Red-Cricket-Ball-Stains-from-Whites

Or, rub a good dollop of washing up liquid into the red bits and leave it for about half an hour before rinsing and washing as usual.

If you tumble dried the clothes after your previous attempt you may have set the stain.

Optionally just ring hubby and ask him how...?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What does hubby normally do?

I would get a bar of cheap white soap and rub the stained areas really well and leave for a little while before washing. Don't let the stains dry or else like Squeaky said they might set.
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kr15snw wrote: »
    Hubby is a cricketer and has always washed his whites himself. But as he's away today I thought I'd help out. So I used vanish pre treatment and then chucked in the wash.

It hasn't touched it!!

Any simple tips guys? Hubby is not going to be happy....

(It's the cricket ball stain thats the issues all over his knees)

Blimey, he must have long arms!:eek:

I used to be a fast bowler, and only ever managed to get red stains around my right thigh.;)
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    Andy, he's wicket keeper and apparently gets hit in the knees a lot (his pads are obv pants).

I've just asked him and he said it's the first time he's had red stains. So I've attacked it with more vanish and leaving it to soak in cold water for a few hours. I'm sure that's what my mum used to do with stains.... Lol
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    I have cricket balls stains on my carpet in the living room that i need to try and remove - any ideas? (a souvenir that puppy found when out walking recently, i didn't realise the dye ran!)
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bramble1 wrote: »
    I have cricket balls stains on my carpet in the living room that i need to try and remove - any ideas? (a souvenir that puppy found when out walking recently, i didn't realise the dye ran!)

Since it is a dye your best option might be to buy one of those colour removers meant for laundry, make up a solution, and try that on your carpet.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh cricket whites dont you love them. Especially when you get 10 year olds playing in whites and they dont give a stuff how messy they get. I use Ariel Stain Remover, get them in the wash as soon as possible and wash them at 60 with plenty of Daz - this is not as recommended by the manufacturer but I find it works!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure