Problems opening Halifax Reward account in joint names?

Options
I have a Halifax Reward Current account, and tonight decided that I would open one in joint names with my OH because I had read you could hold and get the reward on both.

I opened the account while logged into my online banking and went through everything, and everything was confirmed on OH's log in.

The only problem is, in online banking the account is only showing as 'current account' and not 'reward current account' like my one does.

Is this normal?

Comments

• MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can only have one reward account now
  • MoneySaverLog
    Options
    I think you can only have one reward account now

Ignore this I'm wrong, one sole and one joint account. Call them up
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have given them a ring and the guy said that it will be a normal current account until the paperwork being sent to us is signed and returned. I am very dubious about that as I never had this issue when I opened my own Reward Current Acc. and can't see the account name online magically changing as soon as we send the paperwork back.

Have tried transfering in £1000 then out again, but no change.
  • Andystriker
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    Have given them a ring and the guy said that it will be a normal current account until the paperwork being sent to us is signed and returned. I am very dubious about that as I never had this issue when I opened my own Reward Current Acc. and can't see the account name online magically changing as soon as we send the paperwork back.

Have tried transfering in £1000 then out again, but no change.

I opened a joint Reward Current Account recently and it did show as just "current account" on online banking for a few days. Then it did change to "Reward" a few days later so I think the guy was right.

Also, I think you have to keep at least £100 in overnight to activate the cards on the account.
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Ahh you star, thank you for confirming!

Will keep an eye on it and chase them up if it doesn't change. Out of curiousity, did yours change before or after you recieved/sent back the forms?
  • Andystriker
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, did yours change before or after you recieved/sent back the forms?

After.

If I was you I'd put £100 in and leave it there until it changes to Reward Current Account.

Also, note when I opened my Reward Accounts online, my initial deposit disappeared for 24 hours on my online banking page. This happens to most people but re-appears after 24 hours. So if your balance goes to Nil when you know there is £100 in don't panic. This only happens once to new accounts.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also, note when I opened my Reward Accounts online, my initial deposit disappeared for 24 hours on my online banking page. This happens to most people but re-appears after 24 hours. So if your balance goes to Nil when you know there is £100 in don't panic. This only happens once to new accounts.
    But if things do settle down quickly, don't forget to cycle £1K through the account before close of business Wednesday, in order to get your free fiver! ;)
  • MoneySaverLog
    Options
    They did the upgrade straight away in the branch, you can then do the transfer in and out again before the end of the month to pick up your £5 for this month.
  • Beckyy
    Options
    I transfered £1000 in then out again, and left £100 in overnight and it's now switched to reward current account! Thank you everyone for your help. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport