Can I cash in my pension?

Options

Comments

• khny61
    khny61 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    No I am 52 and I meant my final salary pension would be frozen so should I still pay avc's on a frozen pension.
    Thank you
  • RichandJ
    RichandJ Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    khny61 wrote: »
    No I am 52 and I meant my final salary pension would be frozen so should I still pay avc's on a frozen pension.
    Thank you

If the AVCs are linked to the scheme you have just left then you cannot pay into them anymore.

By the way, neither element of this pension provision is 'frozen', they are both 'deferred'. Frozen and deferred have very specific meanings when applied to pensions.

The final salary element will receive increases between leaving and when you take it and the AVCs will remain invested in whatever funds are made available by the provider.
    It only takes one tree to make a thousand matches, it only takes one match to burn a thousand trees. As well, the cars are all passing me, bright lights are flashing me.

Johnny Was. Once.

Why did he think "systolic" ?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take your spam and go.

No trolling for victims allowed here
  • Badger99
    Options
    I am 66 and retired with a substantial company pension. I also have a stakeholder pension pot that is worth £4800. I am aware that I can take a 25% lump sum and convert the remainder to a small annuity, but is there an option to cash it all in? I thought I read somewhere a while back that providing you had a guaranteed pension, that ensured you would not have to fall back onto benefits, then an option was available to take the cash (with considerable tax to pay). Does anyone know anything about this or am I confusing it with drawdown?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also have a stakeholder pension pot that is worth £4800. I am aware that I can take a 25% lump sum and convert the remainder to a small annuity, but is there an option to cash it all in?

No. You cannot cash in a pension.
    I thought I read somewhere a while back that providing you had a guaranteed pension, that ensured you would not have to fall back onto benefits, then an option was available to take the cash (with considerable tax to pay).

If the total of all your pensions is less than £18,000 then you can exercise the triviality option. However, that doesn't sound like it is likely here.

If you have over £20,000 of guaranteed income then could exercise flexible drawdown and take the money out as taxable income (above the tax free cash of 25%). However, the cost and tax may make it not worth it.

Another option is to leave it. It is tax free and on death pays out tax free outside of your estate. Or you can commence it later into retirement as a bit of bump for in capital and income for a special occasion. Maybe even add to it in the meantime.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • atush
    Options
    Badger, what is the income from your 'substantial company pension'?
  • 5850matty
    5850matty Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

I have a very good friend of mine who is in the USA at the moment and has lived there for about 12 years now. His pension pot is available in the UK however as he is no longer a UK resident he is having trouble getting the funds transferred to the US or released.

Is there anyway that he can release the funds in the UK to be able to transfer to the US ? The US will only accept a "cash" transaction and not a transfer from the UK Pension company.

Thanks

Matt
  • helptoyou
    helptoyou Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/transfer-overseas.htm

See Link above . plus get him to talk to current pension providers and explain his situation see what they have to say.
  • atush
    Options
    Is he over 55? Does he still have a UK acct anywhere?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Badger99, if the income from your work pensions and state pensions and annuities combined pay you £20,000 of more you can use flexible drawdown to take out all of the money in any personal pension pot.

5850matty, your friend should currently give up on transferring a pension pot to the US. There are major incompatibilities between UK and US pension rules that in practice seem to even block the usual QROPS route that works for other countries. Your friend can take the income whenever UK rules allow it and can have that income sent to the US. Last time I looked into this there were a few US QROPS pension providers but still reports that it was impossible in practice to transfer to them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback