Can I cash in my pension?

Options

Comments

• amiaspden
    amiaspden Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Upcoming BBC program: "Simon Cox investigates the dangers of 'pension liberation' schemes in which people under 55 are told they can release money from old pensions without paying tax."
    8pm 21st March, Radio 4.
    iPlayer page http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01r9sw4/The_Report_Pension_Liberation_Schemes/
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank God. Or maybe the BBC?

About time someone in TV starts talking about this. I have read about it in (only) broadsheet newspapers but not yet seen it mentioned on TV (where those most likely to succumb may be found I think?).
  • Proxy
    Proxy Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Summary of that programme from BBC.co.uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21844955
    'll end up with no pensions. I've had the most traumatic six months of my life and I've ended up with a whacking great bill from Inland Revenue”

Take heed, people.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a trained accountant, Mr Zanetti was aware he would have to pay tax on the release of his pension but he did not realise it would be £11,000. He has not yet received any money.
    Glad he was not my accountant !

That article should be made compulsory reading.
  • clydefreeman
    Options
    Yes, you can cash your pension. You have the option to cash out but be sure to planned it well. Either you start your own business to make your money grow.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, you can cash your pension. You have the option to cash out but be sure to planned it well. Either you start your own business to make your money grow.
    This is almost always not true. Any person whose pension savings exceed the triviality amount (£18,000) cannot simply cash in their pension savings other than a maximum of two stranded pots of £2,000 or less over their entire lifetime.

The only times a pension can fully be commuted to cash where the benefits exceed the terms above are where the scheme has protected Tax Free Cash of 100% of the value of the policy or when the policyholder has been diagnosed with a year or less to live.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can also extract all of the money with flexible drawdown provided you have at least £20,000 of income a year for life, counting only things such as work final salary pensions, annuities and the state pensions, all of which must be in payment at the time.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

No you cannot.

Apart from death, triviality or short service (on defined benefit schemes) or schemes with transitional protections (from rule changes in 2006) which allow greater than 25% tax free cash you cannot get cash in a pension (not that any other those are actually cashing in the pension).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bruceingram1958
    Options
    The answer is yes. But be aware that you are going to pay taxes as well as penalty. However, if you wait until your retirement comes, you will get 100% back. Anyway, if you really need cash, you can always take a loan.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The answer is yes. But be aware that you are going to pay taxes as well as penalty. However, if you wait until your retirement comes, you will get 100% back. Anyway, if you really need cash, you can always take a loan.

THis is a UK site. Not US. The answer is no.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback