'Who wears the financial trousers?' poll

Comments

• XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you are not going to cover, "I'm a male in a family, I earn it, I save it, she spends it!" Then I'm not playing!!!!
  • As others have said, this poll is flawed in that the majority of people who regularly use MSE will be the financial decision makers.
    I earn more money and decide how it is spent. My husband is useless! When I first met him he had bad credit because he is so disorganised he would forget to pay bills.
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So to balance the poll then, I am a Man and my wife does all the finances, I am too impulsive to be trusted with money. We have joint accounts which she controls meaning we are never in debt and actually have savings, that would probably not be the case if it was left to me :D
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • Sparkle80
    Sparkle80 Posts: 1,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm a married woman and deal with the majority of financial decisions/control over finances. My husband is too laid back to deal with it all and wouldn't have a clue what was coming in/what goes out!
  • Occy
    Occy Posts: 146 Forumite
    I think your poll is skewed by the site demographic i.e most of the people on this site are likely to be money savers and hence likely to be more financially astute than their partner/parents.

Occy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    C25K Graduate :D
  • FATBALLZ
    FATBALLZ Posts: 5,146 Forumite
    As others have said, the results of this poll are fairly meaningless, given that the financial decision makers are far more likely to use this site and find the poll in the first place.

The only interesting thing is that more women have voted than men. This means either more women use this site/vote in polls, or women are eager to dispell stereotypes about being useless with money. I'm guessing the latter.
  • oh dear - I'm ashamed to say i am one of the small minority of women who leave the financial stuff to the male partner - i often feel like a 1950's housewife when i talk to the bank and they ask me complicated questions like who is your mortgage with, and i have to say 'my husband deals with all that'. and the mortgage is in my name!!! i am also the main earner.

the problem is, my brain shuts down when it comes to finance. i used to do it all myself when single, but now i've found someone to do it for me, i'm much happier! i'm good at budgeting, and i am very very money-savvy (in terms of knowing how to spend very little of it), but i just can't do bills, and percentages, and working out whether the utilities deal we have is the best one. when we first got the mortgage, i was lost. the advisor asked me all sorts of random questions, wrote a whole heap of numbers down all over a sheet of A4 and then told me how much i could have. i felt really silly having to look to my husband to see if it was alright.
    3400581 Posts: 20 Forumite
    You are correct. The figures aren't right. You are adding up apples and pears. The correct figure is expressed as a percentage of the total number of responses not the total in each section. You are looking at something like 22% and 28% respectively. Are you sure you are a Money Saving EXPERT?
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I deal with all our finances, I'm efficient like that and my husband has no interest in dealing with having to keep track of our finances and paying bills, plus he trusts me to make the right decisions, its me who decides about utilities and keeps track of our bank account. We do mutually discuss large purchases though. For me, it should be the best person suited to the task in the relationship, male or female makes no difference. However, given the nature of this site, it stands to reason that many of us are in charge of our household finances. The figures are correct within their separate sections but putting them together doesn't work as they are four separate groups of people, to get an aggregate result would have meant doing a poll with one simple question for everyone - who controls the finances in your household? Me, partner or someone else (to cover parents and any other permutations).
    2020 Wins:
  • As has already been said, I (female) deal with all the finances, including tracking his accounts. OH hasn't a clue, so doesn't even come on the site, although I do tell him about the decisions as they're made. Fatally flawed poll IMHO, but still interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure