PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Running an efficient Kitchen......

Options
Hello All,

After our holiday myself and my OH are on a health kick, this consists of basically eating food that is homemade and without any sauce mixes where possible, as well as the usual fruit. I used to do this a while ago through Weighwatchers!

Anyhow, working full time and cooking when we get home from scratch might not be a good mix, so i want to have an efficient kitchen.

So far I have:
- Sorted out all the cupboards, done an audit and know I have everything I might need.
- Chopped a lot of: mushrooms, onions etc ready for dishes in the week ahead.
- Grated some low fat cheese, again so it's ready for the odd sprinkle.
- Planned the meals for the week.

I just wondered if anyone else had any other tips/advice as to how to keep this going? Alternatively, any little gems to help create different/healthy sauces?

Thanks in advance,
Alipops x

Comments

• seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For greatest cupboard and fridge efficiency, I only use square and oblong storage containers - no wasted space that way.

I use some from Lakeland (Stack & Store? They have multi-coloured lids) and then print labels for the front, so I can see what I've got as soon as I open the cupboard.

A little OCD, I grant you. But makes me feel organised!
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    bolognaise or pasta sauce- i use 1 carton of pasata from lidls 29ish p i think, basil, chopped garlic, and onion. This is much cheaper than jar stuff and probably healthier too.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i seem to spend forever chopping things too, so chopping in advance is a habit i am trying to form.

With veggies that will freeze, I have started freezing them so i can just take out what I need. It also saves waste as there is only two of us.

another really simple thing that is really making a difference is putting the oven on as soon as I go into the kitchen. It's a range cooker and therefore takes a while to warm up. By the time i faff around making a cup of tea, deciding what to cook etc the oven is hot and ready to go :j
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • diluvsdiscounts
    Options
    I have stopped buying tiny jars of herbs and spices from the supermarket that last about four times.
    Now when Julian Greaves have their 50% sale I stock up on the large bags of cumin,ginger,peppercorns,sea salt etc and I keep them in washed out coffee jars.I cut the label of the spice bag and sellotape it to the front of the jar.
    It's half the price and you get about four times as much and alot less shopping involved!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport