Roofing - quote ok?

Options
Hi. We have 4 ridges on our roof. The ridge tiles are slightly loose and the mortar needs replacing. To do this we have been quoted just under £900 Inc VAT. We are awaiting other quotes. Does this sound reasonable? Should be 2 days work.
Incidentally, is this something that should have been picked up on a homebuyers report? Would it have been picked up on a structural survey? We have only been in 5 months and this is a fairly large unforeseen cost.
Cheers me dears

Comments

• somethingcorporate
    Options
    Get 3-4 quotes. We've just had a couple of quotes for some roof repairs and they vary from £220 - £1,300+VAT so make sure you get a number of opinions first.

I doubt the homebuyers survey would cover this to be honest, it is more about checking for major and obvious things rather than whether a couple of tiles are loose - what did the survey say about the roof?

£900 is hardly large in the scheme of things, just be thankful it is not a re-roof with another 0 on the end of that!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Hi BaconandEggs,

My husband and his partner run a roofing business and I help out with the admin etc. You shouldn't have to pay any more than £450 for this and the job shouldn't take longer than a day. Hope this info helps.
    Prices may be a bit dearer if you are down South but I wouldn't want to pay much more than that. If you are in Scotland or the very North of England you can give me a shout if you want an exact quote.
  • BaconandEggs
    Options
    Thanks.
    Awaiting one more quote but the second I had is much closer to the price you mentioned wannabee.
    Pays to shop around.
  • barrisroofingltd
    Options
    It is dependant on whether a scaffold is required. I agree with wannabee that 1 day is DEF enough to finish this job. Don't let them attempt this job in the rain, otherwise you'll end up with a mess.

Generally, roof related problems (other than the completely obvious) do not get picked up in Surveys, and the surveyor will advise that a roofer inspect the property. Roof surveys are available out there if you search google.
    Nico
  • BaconandEggs
    Options
    Thanks Barris. I think we've got a good bloke on the job now. Seems to know what he is doing and comes with a good recommendation.

Good to know about the roofing survey. Something I will definitely get done in the future if we move.
    A good investment I think.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Dont let him just repoint the offending tiles. It will just fall out again later on. The tiles need to be removed completely and rebedded properly. You should ensure that that you understand from the quotes you have received what each contractor is proposing to do and whether or not the more expensive one has allowed for the possibility of having to do more than you can see. Also about scaffolding (Nico is correct) if the first quote includes the scaffolding that will represent about half the cost so the actual cost of the work is about the same as others have indicated.

HTH.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • BaconandEggs
    Options
    The chap who is doing it said it will take about a day and has indicated that the tiles will be removed, old mortar removed and rebedded with new mortar with some adhesive mixed.

He didn't mention scaffolding. But I will ask him about this when I speak to him to ensure the quote includes this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure