MSE News: TalkTalk fined £3 million for billing blunders

in Phones & TV
19 replies 2.4K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Ofcom has handed the telecoms company a massive fine for billing customers for services they never received ..."

Replies

• Well this is what happens when a company outsources its IT.

"My job went to India and all I got was this lousy phone bill."
  • I have spent hours on the phone with talk talk trying to get a refund as Tiscali charged me £20/month for 2 years before I noticed. Anyone know who I can speak to or email to ensure I get my money returned as they have given every excuse in the book and I didn't know they were under Ofcom investigation. Thanks.
  • Doesn't surprise me.
    I'm currently in email quagmire with TalkTalk. Signed up over phone in June for new phone line for my Mum. I agreed a package and was told £50 installation fee would be charged with refund of £25 on second bill. First bill arrived showing entirely different package (more expensive and no reference to refund). After several phone calls I was moved to correct package but TalkTalk insist I signed up for a different package and wont refund excess. They also deny any knowledge of £25 refund and point blank refuse to discuss it unless I can provide evidence. Of course I have nothing on paper as was all done over the phone (more fool me).
    Any idea where to go from here?
  • How did such a dodgy company make it so big?
    ''apply within'' :)
  • SkoorbSkoorb Forumite
    38 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    lisaokane wrote: »
    I have spent hours on the phone with talk talk trying to get a refund as Tiscali charged me £20/month for 2 years before I noticed. Anyone know who I can speak to or email to ensure I get my money returned as they have given every excuse in the book and I didn't know they were under Ofcom investigation. Thanks.
    miaowtripp wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me.
    I'm currently in email quagmire with TalkTalk. Signed up over phone in June for new phone line for my Mum. I agreed a package and was told £50 installation fee would be charged with refund of £25 on second bill. First bill arrived showing entirely different package (more expensive and no reference to refund). After several phone calls I was moved to correct package but TalkTalk insist I signed up for a different package and wont refund excess. They also deny any knowledge of £25 refund and point blank refuse to discuss it unless I can provide evidence. Of course I have nothing on paper as was all done over the phone (more fool me).
    Any idea where to go from here?

lisaokane and miaowtripp:

Try posting at http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45. This is the official TalkTalk forum, and the staff there are much more helpful. With things like your problem, the first thing they do is dig up the recording of the sales call to find out what you were actually sold. Do read the "Read First - Get your problems fixed quicker!" posts first though.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • Paul_VarjakPaul_Varjak Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    lisaokane wrote: »
    I have spent hours on the phone with talk talk trying to get a refund as Tiscali charged me £20/month for 2 years before I noticed. Anyone know who I can speak to or email to ensure I get my money returned as they have given every excuse in the book and I didn't know they were under Ofcom investigation. Thanks.

Ensure that OFCOM know about this. Also contact:

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

They will deal with your complaint and ensure you get your money back.
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is all very well fining TalkTalk but it is TalkTalk customers that ultimately have to pay, in increased call charges.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is all very well fining TalkTalk but it is TalkTalk customers that ultimately have to pay, in increased call charges.
    Not if they get out as soon as they can.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    Not if they get out as soon as they can.

Customers who left the company have continued to be billed, which is why TalkTalk was fined in the first place!!
  • How did such a dodgy company make it so big?

It's a hybrid of a couple of different companies. That's what caused the problem. It's just they didn't seem in much of a hurry to sort it out, and their customer service was shocking to say the least, and they didn't seem to care.

They have 5 million customers, I was surprised by that figure. The only way they managed to retain so many was because they were tied into 12 month contracts. I suspect most would have fled if they were able.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides