Switching sites useless at moment?!

Options
oldwiring
oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
They must as all I have tested give substantial savings for my annual consumption 14000 kWh gas and 3000 kWh elec, even those which have upped prices. I used Energy Help Line, U Switch , and Simply Switch. The last was utter rubbish: it promised savings of ~£300 pa!!!

I had checked that kWh had been chosen.

Even worse was that Simply was intrusive, requiring full name with address, email, and tel. no.

How dare they! So rubbish data was what I gave them.

1. Are there any accurate and up to date sites?

2. Should sites be allowed to intrude so much as Simply Switch?

Comments

• uptomyeyeballs
    Options
    I tend to use the UKPower one. It's easy to use, clear to read and isn't intrusive at all.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    The switching sites are a total mess at the moment unless you are going for a fixed deal. Some of the companies who have announced rises have deliberately left one of their tariffs untouched so they (at the moment) look fantastic value. Please note most of them have a T&C guaranteeing a %tage discount off standard rate (say 2%) but at the moment they are waaayyy cheaper than that. You sign up then the company can use their right under the T&Cs you agreed to to increase the tariff so it's just the minimum %tage less than the standard rate.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    energyhelpline requires no personal data at all, other than (obviously) the postcode.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I tend to use the UKPower one. It's easy to use, clear to read and isn't intrusive at all.

But not exactly up to date is it?

Have a look at their homepage, they still list Union energy and Countrywide as suppliers they deal with.

Then click on Union energy, it gives some "info" about Union energy having teamed up with Scottish Power "one of the few companies left in the energy market which is UK-controlled" - which is odd as I thought they were owned by Iberdrola, a Spanish company.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure