»

Tracking software for phones and laptops

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Tracking software for phones and laptops

edited 27 January 2016 at 11:06AM in Freebies (no spend required)
14 replies 28.2K views
AsaadAsaad
77 posts
Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 27 January 2016 at 11:06AM in Freebies (no spend required)
i came across some software which tracks your laptop if it's ever stolen. I have installed on my PC and it seems great. Its called prey project, i wanted to know what people think of it. It works for some mobiles too.

Also i come across some software which blackberry give away free and have installed on all new devices (e.g. bold 9900) which is called blackberry protect. You can install it from the bb app world. Again this is brilliant because this program allows you to locate you phone from your laptop, send messages to it, lock it, delete data from it etc.. You can even make it sound an alarm so if u misplace it, u can make it alarm all from ur laptop (even when silent)

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

:)

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: We’ve been in touch with Prey and it says the software is free and will remain so, though, if you want to protect more than three devices, you’ll have to upgrade to a ‘pro’ account. Thanks to Asaad for posting.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Replies

• Thanks.

If you have a Samsung phone on Android then checkout samsungdive it's the best traking software for phones I have used. It's better than most because the tracking software is actually embeded in the phone and isn't installed via an app.
  • geordie_bengeordie_ben
    3.1K posts
    Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have Anti DT on my Android HTC Desire... seems to work pretty well
    Remember, remember, REMEMBER cashback and discount codes!
    Officially Debt Free as of 25/03/11 :j
  • epm-84epm-84
    1.5K posts
    Forumite
    Doesn't the phone or laptop need to be turned on to work?
  • sarah1972sarah1972
    15.9K posts
    Forumite, Board Guide
    Part of the Furniture 10000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still available http://preyproject.com/

Prey lets you keep track of your laptop, phone and tablet whenever stolen or missing easily and all in one place. It's lightweight, open source software that gives you full and remote control, 24/7.

How it works
    Basically you install a tiny agent in your PC or phone, which silently waits for a remote signal to wake up and work its magic.

This signal is sent either from the Internet or through an SMS message, and allows you to gather information regarding the device's location, hardware and network status, and optionally trigger specific actions on it
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • DerkDerk
    1 posts
    Forumite
    You can get the same tracking functions from the AVGFREE Antivirus app; PLUS you get anti-virus protection for your phone.
  • xgingerxxgingerx
    579 posts
    Forumite
    if your laptop or phone is stolen, they would format all data so really don't see the point in this to be honest.
    Dmp Mutual Support thread member No 82
  • margymargy
    146 posts
    Forumite
    i agree they if the phone / laptop is stolen they would format them, it happened to my i pad i had find my i pad / i phone installed and it was not traceable
  • If you've got an iOS device (iPhone, Ipod, iPad), you can install the "Find my iPhone" app, which does much the same. You can get the device to display messages, and even wipe it remotely if you're worried.
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • RachyD_3RachyD_3
    232 posts
    Forumite
    Amazing, thank you!
  • stefanostefano
    949 posts
    Forumite
    The big question really is: does preyproject.com/ really work?
    Has anyone have first hand experience?