Tracking software for phones and laptops

Options
Asaad
Asaad Posts: 77 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 27 January 2016 at 12:06PM in Freebies (no spend required)
i came across some software which tracks your laptop if it's ever stolen. I have installed on my PC and it seems great. Its called prey project, i wanted to know what people think of it. It works for some mobiles too.

Also i come across some software which blackberry give away free and have installed on all new devices (e.g. bold 9900) which is called blackberry protect. You can install it from the bb app world. Again this is brilliant because this program allows you to locate you phone from your laptop, send messages to it, lock it, delete data from it etc.. You can even make it sound an alarm so if u misplace it, u can make it alarm all from ur laptop (even when silent)

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

:)

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: We’ve been in touch with Prey and it says the software is free and will remain so, though, if you want to protect more than three devices, you’ll have to upgrade to a ‘pro’ account. Thanks to Asaad for posting.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Lemon_Labs
    Options
    Thanks.

If you have a Samsung phone on Android then checkout samsungdive it's the best traking software for phones I have used. It's better than most because the tracking software is actually embeded in the phone and isn't installed via an app.
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have Anti DT on my Android HTC Desire... seems to work pretty well
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doesn't the phone or laptop need to be turned on to work?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    still available http://preyproject.com/

Prey lets you keep track of your laptop, phone and tablet whenever stolen or missing easily and all in one place. It's lightweight, open source software that gives you full and remote control, 24/7.

How it works
    Basically you install a tiny agent in your PC or phone, which silently waits for a remote signal to wake up and work its magic.

This signal is sent either from the Internet or through an SMS message, and allows you to gather information regarding the device's location, hardware and network status, and optionally trigger specific actions on it
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Derk
    Derk Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    You can get the same tracking functions from the AVGFREE Antivirus app; PLUS you get anti-virus protection for your phone.
  • xgingerx
    xgingerx Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if your laptop or phone is stolen, they would format all data so really don't see the point in this to be honest.
    Dmp Mutual Support thread member No 82
  • margy
    margy Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    i agree they if the phone / laptop is stolen they would format them, it happened to my i pad i had find my i pad / i phone installed and it was not traceable
  • charlieheard
    charlieheard Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If you've got an iOS device (iPhone, Ipod, iPad), you can install the "Find my iPhone" app, which does much the same. You can get the device to display messages, and even wipe it remotely if you're worried.
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • RachyD_3
    RachyD_3 Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    Amazing, thank you!
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    The big question really is: does preyproject.com/ really work?
    Has anyone have first hand experience?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport