We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Rhubarb

2»

Comments

• samnmalc
    samnmalc Posts: 448 Forumite
    It will be fine to eat for a few weeks yet.

As it gets older the stems become woody and tough, then is the time to leave it!

I was pulling mine until July/ August last year and have had another bumper crop this year.:T

If it is there and looks tender enough,then use it.:D
  • Butternut
    Butternut Posts: 92 Forumite
    Hi, just a quick question....
    I have a rhubarb crown which has been planted for about 6 years. I read that you should lift and divide them every 5 years, which is ok as i want to move mine as its not doing too well where it is.
    Unfortunately, i have a small garden and im a bit short of space, does anyone know if I can gro rhubarb in pots ???:confused:
    Win £2008 for 2008 member No 678 £62/2008 so far
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    im sure you can if its a big deep pot to give rhubarb its nutrients from the soil

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • I have a few rhubarbs in pots and they do really well...until my monsters knock them over!!
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Butternut, yes you can, but it likes rich soil so add organic matter to the compost and put plenty of crocks at the bottom, it can rot if left sitting in water, feed regularly and get a big deep pot. Needs to be done before its start growing in spring. Mine kept going for 8 years in a semi shaded spot, till we moved, don't think it liked moving! They can keep going for upto 15 years so good luck
  • amyandoli
    amyandoli Posts: 470 Forumite
    my rhubarb is like a weed! it was in the 'wrong place', i tried to move it and it ended up growing back in both places. it's now contained in several large pots and is as rigorous (sp?) as ever!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure