Painting quote

Options
Hi,

Not used a decorator previously and I'm a bit unsure about a quote I have received.

It's for my bedroom which is approx 5mx3m and adjoing dressing room 3mx2m. The dressing room has built in wardrobes all around so it is just the ceiling that needs painting.

I have a barn conversion so the ceilings are high and beams need to be navigated.

I have had a quote for £630 not including paint

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance:)

Comments

• john0612
    john0612 Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    Straight away i'm thinking too high but you don't say what is getting done.

2 coats ceiling ?
    2 coats walls ? onto what paper or plasterboard etc? dramatic colour change ?
    2 coats woodwork ?

how high is the ceiling ?

I'd be looking for about £300-£350 for that but that's without seeing it and as you say it's high so if it's a hassle maybe another £50 if it's time consuming.

Plus you're paying for the paint so his only expense is diesel
  • becky2011
    becky2011 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, yes I was a little shocked!

Right ok, he is doing an undercoat and 1 coat of elmusion on ceiling and walls, the paint is white and the job is just a 'freshen up' as the walls are already painted white.

No woodwork.

To be honest it's mainly ceiling that he's doing as the dressing area is wall to wall built in wardrobes and there are more built in cupboards along one of the 5m walls in bedroom so not a lot of wall area.

Ceiling is 3m high.

He lives less than a mile away so really no fuel expense either.

Thanks again:)
  • john0612
    john0612 Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    no woodwork !!

defiantly to dear , get another couple of quotes.

one long day (drying times) would do that.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    I had a similar sized big room done last week (5m*4m) with high ceilings. 2 coats of paint on everything, undercoat and 2 coats on the woodwork. 2 guys, 6 hours. £200.

Bloody good job too!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • becky2011
    becky2011 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Wow what a difference! Yeah the guy has quoted me a few crazy prices, think he thinks I want to throw my money away!

Another amusing one was £480 to polish the floor in 2 rooms, madness. Will get a few more quotes I think:)
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    i would have thought around a couple of days - £360 ish tops -inc materials
  • newDude
    newDude Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    becky2011 wrote: »

I have had a quote for £630 not including paint
    Any ideas?

You are getting robbed. i paid £2,000 for a FULL 4 bed house paper and paint as required,he supplied the paint and i supplied the paper
  • SAHD_Jim
    SAHD_Jim Posts: 242 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You should always get at least 3 quotes for any job, so you get an idea of who is trying to take the proverbial
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying
  • alisont
    alisont Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do get several quotes I remember getting my bedroom done - quotes ranged from £200 - £650 for 1 room:eek:

I went with the £200 one a husband and wife team - pleased with the work - took them 3 days as was old wallpaper on and it was that 70's style embossed stuff - took an age to steam off, then was undercoat, 2 coats of paint and skirtings/door, I supplied the paints.

Just having rest of the house decorated now following a rewire - hall stairs and landing and lounge including decorator buying the paints (3 coats needed) which took 2 men 5 days about 6 hours a day and that was £550.

These guys are booked for the rest of the house now - good prices and quality work.
    Sealed Pot Challenge number 8 Amount declared £365.50.

Sealed pot challenge number 9 number 482
  • fluffpot
    fluffpot Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    Glad I'm not a decorator...
    2 people 3 days - £200 that's £33.3 per day each! That's less than minimum wage!
    2 people 5 days £550 that's £55 each - they're coining it in!!! Although they did have to supply the paint, so maybe not :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure