We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Guidance on planting laurel hedging please.

Options
Cyril
Cyril Posts: 583 Forumite
I want to plant a hedge and am wanting some help on what to do to prepare the ground so the plants have the best chance of survival. I want to buy some plants about 4ft tall.

What is the best time of year to plant, depth of hole, do I need to put any feed into the holes etc etc.

Any help gratefully appreciated.
:beer:

Comments

• splodger_seedswapper
    Options
    where abouts are you based? i only ask as i know where to get laurel bushes (and they could be free or really cheap if you can dig your own)

pm if you don't want to post your location on the boards ;)

re planting - it is always best to transplant any tree / shrub when it is either dormant - or in the case of evergreens - when the soil is continually moist - they do take a fair bit of watering otherwise

for anybody that wants laurel hedges for free and have time and patience - a laurel log will actually usually root itself if left on the ground undisturbed - it will also layer readily and those layered can be severed and transplanted with ease as soon as just a few small roots have formed

it grows like a weed in my neck of the woods
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills