MSE News: Supermarkets continue to cut petrol prices

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
16 replies 2.2K views
2»

Replies

• Sainsbury in Crawley was still £1.39.9 (diesel) this evening. I don't need any at the moment as I filled up at nearby Tesco recently. 10p a litre off because I bought the coffee and washing powder that I normally buy. It meant that the coffee was almost free.
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    All supermarkets and petrol stations in my town appear to be £135.9; however a few miles down the road there is a variation in prices - between £130.9 (Morrisons) to £135.9 (Shell). Unfortunately, our Morrisons doesn't have a petrol station so we are stuck with what looks suspiciously like price fixing where I live.
  • karlie88karlie88 Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • oldagetravelleroldagetraveller Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    dbt1910 wrote: »
    Interesting news, but the staff at our local Tesco (Uttoxeter) were changing the filling station signs to effect a 1p per litre increase at the pump on Saturday (13.8), so that diesel was 140.9 pence per litre, with a corresponding increase in the cost of petrol!
    I'm not aware if they've decreased prices since then.

Yes, I noticed their increase last week and as of yesterday, when driving past, it was still 140.9/litre.
    Nearby Shell (just off the A50) are a penny cheaper.
    So the OP "news" is somewhat misleading.:(

• boolerbooler Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    In May this year, £1 was worth $1.67. Right now, £1 is worth $1.63. That is a 2.4% drop.
    Actually there has been no change of any significance in the exchange rate during this period.

If you go to xe.com and look at the currency charts for the period you will see what I mean. During May the pound ranged from $1.67 down to $1.61 and it was only above $1.65 for three days of the month.

This is just the big business cartel telling us "**** off, we will do what we like". They know that they are making mugs of us, the government knows that they are making mugs of us, the consumer organisations know that they are making mugs of us but still it goes on.

Decide for yourself why it is allowed. :mad:

Oh, and does anyone remember petrol prices being cut when the pound dropped to $1.56 in December (a much more significant change)?

"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett
  • DragonQDragonQ Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good news but the Tesco nearest to me right now is 131.9p/L, whilst the closer Asda is still better at 130.7p/L.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides