We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Still got tadpoles

Options
Not saving, but of interest. We have three ponds, one of them needs to have the azoa? weed removed quite frequently, and often scooped up by hand. In this pond are frogs, but here it is, mid-August and we still have tadpoles in various stages of growth.

The question we ask ourselves is this, would they be original tadpoles from the spring that have failed to continue growing, or are they odd bits of spawn that have only just developed, or are the frogs still producing spawn.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• jollyanna
    jollyanna Posts: 356 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I heard a radio wildlife prog. last year and they mentioned that at times of great abundance of spawn, there can be some natural halt/delay to the development of the spawn to allow for a fairer chance of survival. I may not have got this scientifically correct, but it certainly offers some explanation I hope. I think it was a radio 4 series, possibly with Terry nutkins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure