breach of compromise agreement by employer.

Options

Comments

• Milkshock
    Milkshock Posts: 402 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2011 at 2:26PM
    Options

• Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    Options
    Milkshock wrote: »

the employer at first provided agreed reference, but under further questioning, provided something else, out of line.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Most CA's I've seen quote an agreed reference and clearly state that any reference given verbally with conform with and be limited to the information in the agreement.

On the face of it the old employer had no business providing that information and has probably dropped themselves right in it.
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    Options
    any firms/individuals you would recommend?

Even if I would (and I don't) I can't - it's against the rules! I'd start with whoever witnessed /advised on the agreement?
  • Milkshock
    edited 2 November 2011 at 2:27PM
    Options

• Milkshock
    Options
    Uncertain wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying that.

Most CA's I've seen quote an agreed reference and clearly state that any reference given verbally with conform with and be limited to the information in the agreement.

On the face of it the old employer had no business providing that information and has probably dropped themselves right in it.

the text is

The Employer agrees that, upon written request, it will provide a reference, in line with that at Schedule 2 of this Agreement, on behalf of the Employee to any prospective employer or company.
  • SarEl
    Options
    No - you are reading things into it. I do not recommend because I don't know the details of the case and cannot assess it - an assessment is what a solicitor does before recommending the barrister they think is best placed to handle the case.

Six years - but I wouldn't recdommend waiting that long!
  • SarEl
    Options
    the text is

The Employer agrees that, upon written request, it will provide a reference, in line with that at Schedule 2 of this Agreement, on behalf of the Employee to any prospective employer or company.

Does it not say anywhere that it is limited to this and only this agreed reference? It should!
  • Milkshock
    edited 2 November 2011 at 2:27PM
    Options

• Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite
    Options
    Or did they just answer some direct questions that the new employer may have had?

Which they should not have done.

They should not have signed a CA with a reference that gave them either a legal or moral problem.

What I suspect will let the OP down here is that this information has confirmed that he lied at his interview - which he also had no right to do.

The CA doubtless contained a confidentiality agreement and he could have used this as a reason for not answering any difficult questions. OK, that is not ideal for his employment prospects but far less damaging than being caught lying.

Two wrongs here and they seldom make a right!
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SarEl wrote: »
    I'd start with whoever witnessed /advised on the agreement?

I suggested this 60 odd posts back.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family