Linguaphone language course

Options
We are considering purchasing two courses ( French & Spanish ) from Linguaphone and would appreciate any comments or observations, as to value for money or ease of use, from those who have actually used the courses.
EJS

Comments

• Ally
    Ally Posts: 5,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We haven't tried the Linguaphone ones ..... but we have tried the Pimsleur (think that's how you spell it!) ones and find them great. Very easy to follow and understand .... even for my 8 year old.

Sorry, haven't exactly answered your question, but thought it may be of help:)
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!
    :j :rotfl: :j
  • bagzithat
    bagzithat Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Hello I have used Linguaphone and highly recommend it.

I bought the beginners level in Arabic, it was that good i then went onto the advanced level, from there on i achieved an A level in arabic.

My son also used the Linguaphone, he did Japanese, he like me reads write and speaks it perfectly.
    I did try other others but know where near as good as Linguaphone.
    Linguaphone are selling there items on Ebay far cheaper than on there own website, hope that helps.
    Nice to save.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Before you go spending a lot of money ,try some FREE online courses.
    The much maligned BBC have some fantastic online courses.I have done their SPANISH STEPS and would highly reccommend it.

have a look here for links to some FREE courses

http://www.budgetflyer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/lanuages.htm
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Michel Thomas cds and I've done his Spanish. Theyre usually on EBay.
  • m00nie
    m00nie Posts: 2,314 Forumite
    Options
    i have just got the michel thomas spanish and french and had a quick listen and was impressed.

you can always hire out language cd/s tapes etc from the library, they charge something silly like £1 for 3 weeks hire.
  • hawfannybaws
    Options
    Another vote for Pimsleur audio courses. I've tried the German and French both excellent. I have also just started looking at the Rosetta Stone language courses, they seem very comprehensive.
  • Natelle_2
    Natelle_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your help, I will have alook at Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone and of course Ebay if it saves us money
    EJS
  • joa
    joa Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Natelle,
    I also tried the Pimsleur Spanish language course and although it was good in teaching me the way to say things, it doesn't even touch on how to spell, how to use grammar or how to use past/present/future tense.

Obviously if you just want to ask for a beer, or 'where are the toilets' then tapes/CDs will do just fine, but remember that if you're in Spain and you need to read a sign, you won't be able to !!

I am in the middle of my 1st year at nightschool doing Spanish. It's a great way of meeting new people (if you need to of course), I have learnt Spanish from the start (verbs, spelling, numbers etc) ... much better than any CD course I tried. Of course, it doesn't suit some people and I didn't think it would suit me as I never bothered going to school much when I was younger. But I am loving every minute of it and will enrol in my 2nd year in June.

It is especially good if you have someone to go with as you can do your homework together !!

Best of luck, hasta pronto.
    Ken Livingstone is my mum
  • la_contrabandier
    Options
    i agree with adult education courses, they are the best way to learn, it can take a couple of years to get to any kind of level that you are confident speaking...but you end up learning because you can do nothing else if you turn up each week

those tapes are ok...im lazy and need somone barking at me when i get it wrong

3 years of french done, first year of spanish underway

if you can go to adult ed classes in the day or at night, then make the effort

i am your typical poor achiever at school, but really enjoy the adult ed classes

go for it
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree entirely and I'm in year 2 Spanish but I find Michel Thomas really helpful too and play it in the car.
    We should start a Spanish speaking thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure