• amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought a White Knight in Tesco today for £99:j
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    Jury rig some form of closure or just use duct tape or another strong tape to hold the door shut.

You might get a few more years use yet.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, my problem seems to be solved. Amazing stroke of luck. A friend offered to babysit while we did any shopping we needed to do before our baby is born. I said we needed a tumble dryer and were looking for a condenser one.

She's getting a new kitchen and is getting rid of her tumble dryer which is an ordinary one with a condenser attached to it. It's a hotpoint 6kg(?) drum and is only 2 years old. I'm giving her £40 and her husband is bringing it round in his car.

Just like that. What would you know!

(This happened when I asked about maternity nighties in the families board too. Suddenly a friend came round with 2 of them and a load of baby clothes.)
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • GUMPO
    GUMPO Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    I know it's too little too late for you G R but for anyone else who reads this thread there is a bit in todays daily mirror comparing a "BOSCH WTA 4007GB CLASSIXX" at £199 with an "AEG-ELECTROLUX T57800 LAVATHERM" at £451 and the cheaper machine wins by miles. (30 mins quicker and more even drying on a full load)
    :money:
    If I could post this back to yesterday I would.:o
    FREE THE WM3
  • chaddythebear
    Options
    I have a bosch condenser, cost about 400 and is something else, simply put the clothes in and press start and it stops when they are dry, every time. Would highly recommend a sensor drying one. And it is b rated and most are c rated
  • oap
    oap Posts: 596 Forumite
    Options
    Avoriaz wrote:
    Jury rig some form of closure or just use duct tape or another strong tape to hold the door shut.

You might get a few more years use yet.

Hi, well you were quite right, used some of that brown strong sticky tape to hold door closed and it dried the washing thank goodness.
    However, have been on to Zanussi and of course the catch is long gone, our dryer we are told is 24 years old, I remember it cost us £80 which was quite a lot then, but we don't owe it anything.
    Will probably go on using it like this for now until research can be made into what to replace it with. We understand that Tricity Bendix are same company as Zanussi, and White Knight, and others, all Electrolux owned!! so we do not know really what or who we are buying do we?

Thanks for the input, we always get really good help from mse. Regards oap
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Resurrecting this old thread, to say we've been using a teaspoon to open and shut our tumble drier for quite a while now, but the heating element's now died and we don't feel it owes us anything as it's over 20 years old!

So, any current recommendations, Which? reports, or bargains out there? It's right under the boiler, so a gas one should be feasible. Having a sensor sounds good for me but the practical chap 'likes dials' - he's been cooped up with a microwave which only had buttons, and he didn't like it!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My aeg lavatherm has a dial for setting the degree of dryness eg completely dry,iron dry,damp etc,and a number of buttons i never use-only the one to switch it on.Its a condenser and doesnt give out any heat or damp. This is the second one I have had (gave my other one to my daughter when i moved house)
  • Daisygirl
    Options
    Wow, old thread, but thought I would add as we need a new dryer.

We've had our White Knight since my son was a baby and he's 17 now! So very reliable! We've only had to replace one part - that was earlier this year I think, but now it takes absolutely ages for it to dry the clothes and I'm fed up of the condenser/whatever steaming the room up, we have droplets of water streaming on the door window nearby! - it didn't do this when we first had it - can't remember now!! I'm pretty sure it SHOULDN'T do it anyway! so I think it's time for a new one. Looking to buy a Bosch as we have a Bosch washing machine - very pleased with - and one of the Which? best buys is a Bosch. Going for a vented one this time to try to overcome the heating the room up problem lol.
  • miffyhugmuffin
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to life, I had no idea previously that there was such a thing as a gas-powered tumble dryer. Will look into getting one I think. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure