PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lithuanian Recipes?

Options
Hi Guys

I am a foster carer and have just had placed with me three children from Lithuania. I am looking for some fairly simple lithuanian recipes to cook. I have googled but not had much luck. Any recipes you could share would be appreciated. :D x
If you want to do something, then the only thing holding you back is yourself, so get on and do it!:rotfl:

Comments

• Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/starches/r/kugelis.htm

Hope this works. Just something I found with my search engine, but it does look tasty!
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    http://ausis.gf.vu.lt/eka/food/fcont.html

And some more, although I appreciate what you want is someone who knows a bit more about the cooking and can give you some handy tips, rather than recipes you'll need to translate back to old style from american. (What are hash brown potatoes? I am sure you will use ordinary potatoes.)
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    i would imagine that hashbrown potatoes are potatoes that mash up well, so not salad or new pototoes

im sure i read the other day when investigating semolina that this is a lithuanian favourite
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    oh, ive worked out what hashbrown potatoes are now after reading that recipe, they are grated potato, frozen into rosti or hashbrown, you would defrost them and mix them up in this recipe

also, are the children old enough or speak enough english to get some idea of what their favourite foods are? i know you have to meet their cultural needs and show you are engaging them in their national culture and heritage but they also might have been bought up here on pizza and chips

has the sw given you any info from the parent as to what foods they like, are mum or dad able to feed back some recipes, might be a good way of engaging the parents if there are plans for the kids to go back at the moment
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2011 at 4:03PM
    Options
    How big are the kids?
    I have no idea about Lithuanian as such, but we used to have Lithuanian cook in local pub where I used to work and he made this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelmeni a lot. I liked it too and you can make bulk and freeze it.
    They are children, with roast chicken and clear chicken soup with noodles you cannot go wrong (visit Polish/Czech shop for soup noodles eastern european style).
    According to Wikipedia Polish and Lithuanian cousine is similar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_food so I would also find your local Polish shop and check the stock out.
    The chances are they will have some of their food frozen (our local does, similar dishes to pelmeni).

I can vouch (sp?) for cucumber soup - especially in nice weather, I don't really make it as a soup but a side salad dish. Especially if you have schnitzels with mashed potatoes, that goes well!! (schnitzel - chicken/pork cut of meat in flour/egg/breadcrumbs cover and then deep fried. If you want recipe PM me).

They will eat probably lots of sauer kraut, but not every child likes it and it needs to be cooked you cannot just serve it from the jar. But it is not difficult.
    http://www.sauerkrautrecipes.com/recipes/2/soups%2c_salads_%26_stews.html
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Breakfast may be the meal you most need to think of - they wont want the cereals and/or fry-up we expect for breakfast. They might want stuff more like rye bread/jam/continental type sausages.

Suggest you specifically google for "what do Lithuanians have for breakfast?" and put a selection of that on the table for them to help themselves to what they want from that. You will soon see which items they are heading for and which they are just trying to eat to be "polite".
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 August 2011 at 6:33PM
    Options
    I do a recipe called bigos and it is pretty much any mix of pork, smoked sausage etc with shredded cabbage and most importantly sauerkraut.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/maincourses/r/bigos.htm

The recipe gives an idea of what to do, the prunes are nice but not necessary and if you can then make a load and serve again as it is even nicer re-heated

Breakfast will be cereals, bread, sliced cheese, tomatoes

Afters compote, yoghurt. Cakes

soups will go down well, particularly like pea and ham. Bread again. They will be used to eating plenty of bread and boiled potatoes

Pickled cucumbers and lots of sauerkraut, just rinsed and can be served without cooking

I am trying to remember the food we had. Not roast beef etc, not bacon and egg.

Chicken stew with cabbage and boiled potatoes

Their basics in lithuania will be cabbage, potatoes, bread, stews. They will probably also get tinned fruit like peaches

breaded pork steaks beaten flat, boiled potatoes, cabbage

little tiny dumplings on the stew

Hope this helps. Nothing fancy
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On the other hand - they will probably tear into something like a pizza and garlic bread for dinner like theres no tomorrow - even though thats far from their "national cuisine".

Chicken will probably go down well as well.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Skye32 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am a foster carer and have just had placed with me three children from Lithuania. I am looking for some fairly simple lithuanian recipes to cook.

I think this is such a lovely thought, small gestures like this will make the kids feel loved and at home in their new environment. :A
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I forgot roasted buckwheat (kasha) health food shop/wholefood shop. Just cook like rice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure