MSE News: Energy firms 'should cut costs' if market falls continue

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
4 replies 1.4K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The price power firms pay for gas, known as the wholesale price, hit a new low for 2011 on Friday ..."

Replies

• eurmalianeurmalian Forumite
    288 posts
    Summary: Two experts say prices will likely rise, one says they should fall, one says they don't know. Spot who MSE choose to quote in big letters for the title. I'm actually vaguely pleasantly surprised that they even bothered leaving the other quotes in at all.
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • edited 8 August 2011 at 6:35PM
    temporary1temporary1 Forumite
    37 posts
    edited 8 August 2011 at 6:35PM
    Utility prices should only rise if energy firms/suppliers start reporting losses. If energy firms/suppliers are consistently making profits and getting greedier and greedier, all energy/utility prices/tarriffs should be immediately, and significantly, lowered - and strictly enforced - by independent government regulatory bodies.

What do you mean we've already got some of those? Yeah right - and that God fella's real too!

How many people have to die before the meek majority will stand up against this Capitalist madness?
  • Davey2009Davey2009 Forumite
    165 posts
    Despite the logic that falls in crude oil & gas should mean lower prices I really doubt it is going to happen it seems long term prices will rise just my opinion but we all have to make our own judgements so personally in light of forthcoming increases I have decided to go for a fixed rate with EDF as MSE suggests I used Money supermarket & will get £30 cash back a few months after change over I know there are negative comments about EDF which worry me but I recently used their on line chat service to confirm the pricing & was quite impressed so see what happens

PS Please make up your own mind dont be influenced by my comments as I usually get things wrong, ie wash the car & it rains, buy shares they fall, sell shares they go up :-)
    Theres only two rules to remember
    1) Im always right
    2) See rule 1
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davey2009 wrote: »
    PS Please make up your own mind dont be influenced by my comments as I usually get things wrong, ie wash the car & it rains, buy shares they fall, sell shares they go up :-)

Dotcom idea:

Losers.com

We collect a group of statistically proven losers.

We charge subscription to people who want to buy and sell stuff, and we send them e-mails of what we intend to buy and sell. When we buy, the share will obviously go down, and vice versa.

The subscribers do the opposite, and make money.

We lose money on buying and selling, but we make money by selling subscriptions.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support