edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
50 replies 11.3K views

Replies

• browneyedbazzibrowneyedbazzi Forumite
    3.4K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    21flames wrote: »
    So when a punter says no just keep talking/ offering?

If someone says no and asks you to leave their home you must leave!

If someone appears a bit hesitant you can try to talk them round but if you don't go when someone tells you to you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.

In particular, if someone who is elderly, disabled or otherwise vulnerable says no to you then you need to walk away. If you stay in their home for a lengthy period of time and ignore 'no' then there would be a pretty good case against you for aggressive commercial practices.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • ILWILW
    18.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone says no and asks you to leave their home you must leave!

If someone appears a bit hesitant you can try to talk them round but if you don't go when someone tells you to you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.

In particular, if someone who is elderly, disabled or otherwise vulnerable says no to you then you need to walk away. If you stay in their home for a lengthy period of time and ignore 'no' then there would be a pretty good case against you for aggressive commercial practices.

The vast majority of people are too polite to actually ask you to leave. This opens the door to keep on trying to close the sale.

Agree with you on the elderly and vulnerable though, they are not fair game.
    3.4K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ILW wrote: »
    The vast majority of people are too polite to actually ask you to leave. This opens the door to keep on trying to close the sale.

True...it's one of the times when Brits tend to be much more polite that they ought to be.

Not being British I'd feel absolute fine telling a pushy double glazing salesman to foxtrot oscar!
  • ILWILW
    18.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True...it's one of the times when Brits tend to be much more polite that they ought to be.

Not being British I'd feel absolute fine telling a pushy double glazing salesman to foxtrot oscar!

The other thing they will not do is tell you "no". Means you can keep on trying again.
    3.4K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ILW wrote: »
    The other thing they will not do is tell you "no". Means you can keep on trying again.

People need to learn to say no! It's a very empowering word!

I feel like I've turned into a pushover if I get through a day without saying no to someone about something lol
  • 21flames21flames Forumite
    44 posts
    So much for that

Went out with the manager on a ' sale ' today.

He basically scaremungered and bullied an 84 year old lady in to putting a deposit down for 150 for a 2 grand door.... even getting her to forward date the check for when her pension goes in.

He then just laughed after and said he had made 200 commission off it.

If that is sales then it is not for me. I have a concious, more to the point it should be illegal!!!!!!!!!!
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had a conscience, you'd ring the lady and tell her to stop the cheque and cancel the sale. Might cost her a few quid but not the £150.
  • ILWILW
    18.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much for that

He basically scaremungered and bullied an 84 year old lady in to putting a deposit down for 150 for a 2 grand door.... even getting her to forward date the check for when her pension goes in.

If that is sales then it is not for me. I have a concious, more to the point it should be illegal!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what you were expecting, but I did warn you.
    3.4K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    So much for that

It is illegal!! Some nasty salespeople seem to think that commission is justification for anything they do and that they are above the law.
    If you had a conscience, you'd ring the lady and tell her to stop the cheque and cancel the sale. Might cost her a few quid but not the £150.

Good advice - that's exactly what I would be tempted to do. That and ring the local trading standards team to tell them how this bully operates. He'll soon learn a lesson!
  • ILWILW
    18.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is illegal!! Some nasty salespeople seem to think that commission is justification for anything they do and that they are above the law.

Good advice - that's exactly what I would be tempted to do. That and ring the local trading standards team to tell them how this bully operates. He'll soon learn a lesson!

It is highly unlikely that it could be proven that anything illegal had been done. Basically it is just what selling is all about in that sort of market.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support